Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Art Supply Store

Took my kid to an art supply store on the highway.  Filled with supplies for making traditional art.  Sketch books, charcoal and colored pencils, pastels, acrylic and oil paints, easels, etc. etc.  The shop was well kept, organized, plenty of patrons, it looks like business is healthy.  No digital art, no AI in sight.  

spacer.png

I find this notion pleasing and hope that traditional instruments are doing well too.  Don’t get me wrong, I love virtual instruments and sequencers, DAWs, techy stuff.  There’s just something to be said about traditional instruments and I hope they never fade away. And while AI generated music is conceptually impressive, I’m not excited to hear suno.com’s next creation in the least.  

“In the United States, the revenue in the Musical Instruments market is projected to reach US$6bn in 2024.

The market is anticipated to experience an annual growth rate of 4.93% (CAGR 2024-2029).” - that’s good news.  The more people that play the larger the audience is for music makers.  

For anyone that has students - do you have any interest in teaching text querying to generate music?   I would imagine we all still want to teach new musicians to play.  🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Totally with you about your thoughts, there will be plenty of us who will continue doing what we love, maybe we'll use AI in some way as another tool in the toolbox, but as some clever person expressed it, AI can't create on it's own, and it can't come up with new concepts, ideas, etc. it only follow pre-learned patterns...

I get the feeling that the "fear" of generative AI is just a silly hype, subconscious and/or conscious, feeding content to drive views and clicks on social media, YouTube, and whatnot, drama drama drama!

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

49 minutes ago, J.F.N. said:

Totally with you about your thoughts, there will be plenty of us who will continue doing what we love, maybe we'll use AI in some way as another tool in the toolbox, but as some clever person expressed it, AI can't create on it's own, and it can't come up with new concepts, ideas, etc. it only follow pre-learned patterns...

I get the feeling that the "fear" of generative AI is just a silly hype, subconscious and/or conscious, feeding content to drive views and clicks on social media, YouTube, and whatnot, drama drama drama!

Quite - there’s click bait daily.   I also think it’s a drive by the tech industry to sell PC upgrades that have AI cores.  Yet, what we are seeing in writing, especially academic and technical, but plenty of other areas as well… it’s time to require citation.  

On a positive note, TN has signed the ELVIS Act into law, as per Craig’s recent share.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560