Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dweezil Zappa's new Sig-Model guitar

That sounds like an impressive and finely crafted guitar! The combination of classic guitar formulas with modern enhancements like the Vega-Trem VT1 tremolo system and Lollar pickups seems like a great balance of vintage tone and contemporary playability. It's clear that your boutique shop values quality and attention to detail in every instrument you produce.

• Like 3

This guitar looks like an old beat up piece of crap.  If I am going to pay a lot of money for a new guitar, I expect it to look like a new guitar.  I am perfectly capable of putting a lot of wear and tear on anything (including my own body), so why should I pay more for someone else to make a new guitar look beat up?  As far as the sound of the guitar, I wasn't impressed.  It just didn't sound "Wow" to me.

• Like 4
I rock; therefore, I am.

Overall, judging by the demo video and reviews, it seems like a particularly excellent axe. However, that's awfully expensive- and short of a professional quality fret-job and set-up and the finish, seems in keeping with a neck and body one could order from Warmoth for considerably less.

I think that I'd love that set of Lollar pickups in such a 'Super Strat'-style guitar! Especially that humbucker.

Personally, I'd opt for one of those trick "6-Position" switches from Free-Way; and I have no shortage of octave-fuzz pedals to choose from. Although I must admit that the built-in octave-fuzz effect does sound very good and seems to respond consistently over a very broad range of the fretboard!

• Like 4

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

19 minutes ago, Sharkman said:

This guitar looks like an old beat up piece of crap.  If I am going to pay a lot of money for a new guitar, I expect it to look like a new guitar.   ...why should I pay more for someone else to make a new guitar look beat up?

I'm on the same page with you on that. I'm sure that Shabat offers other finish options, including 'like new'.

• Like 5

I did some research on the company and it appears that they don't use CNC machines, kinda cool but not better. 

For that price I would buy a pair of Susan Tedeschi Telecasters(one backup), and put remaining $700. towards a Bassman Tone Master.

• Like 5

Jennifer S.

Looking at the Finish options for that model, on the Shabat website, it seems that there's no "Clean" option, as in "No Antiquing." You get to choose among degrees of "Antiquing," with the highest priced option being what I would think of as the "beat-to-hell" look!?!?! No, thanks . . .

Otherwise, the Guitar is so different from anything I would design for myself, I don't feel like I'm one to really critique it. I've seen Dweezil perform, so I have no question regarding his skills, and his dedication to his craft. If he feels this is the Guitar for him, I've got no argument with that.

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

@Caevan O’Shite et al, I missed out on the price?  I must have turned the video off a little too soon.  I'm sure the price was very high and I can't stand the relic concept!  It's like taking a chain saw and acid to a brand new perfectly good guitar...I did like the push/pull control and some of the different sounds produced with the 5-way.  Dweezil is an excellent player and did a great job demonstrating the guitar.  I think the direct to wood mounted pickups may have made a big difference over mounting them on plastic pickguards.  Shabat did an excellent job designing and producing the guitar and he looked very happy with Zappa's demonstration.  I would have like to hear it clean with no pedals straight in with a little less verb.  Cool video! 😎👍

Ps. I looked it up at $4,499.00, a little above my pay grade LOL!  😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

29 minutes ago, Larryz said:

@Caevan O’Shite et al, I missed out on the price?  I must have turned the video off a little too soon.  I'm sure the price was very high and I can't stand the relic concept!  It's like taking a chain saw and acid to a brand new perfectly good guitar...I did like the push/pull control and some of the different sounds produced with the 5-way.  Dweezil is an excellent player and did a great job demonstrating the guitar.  I think the direct to wood mounted pickups may have made a big difference over mounting them on pickguards.  Shabat did an excellent job designing and producing the guitar and he looked very happy with Zappa's demonstration.  I would have like to hear it clean with no pedals straight in with a little less verb.  Cool video! 😎👍

Oh, I think that they might not have mentioned prices in the video- I believe that I had actually read that in a separate article about the guitar, come to think of it.

Here ya go:

'Dweezil Zappa's newest signature guitar is here – and it’s as whacky as you’d expect' By Phil Weller / Guitar World published 1 July 2024

"Players can build their own spec'd-out Lynx DZ via Shabat’s online form. Prices start at $4,499 and rise the sillier your build gets."

• Like 3

@Caevan O’Shite, Thanks for the info.  I edited my post with a PS. (you may not have seen it before posting) as I had looked up the price on the Shabat guitar web-site.  The price $4,499.00, is a little above my paygrade.  Maybe they could drop the price a little by not having to do the antique/relic job on a special order. LoL! 😎👍

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

15 hours ago, Sharkman said:

This guitar looks like an old beat up piece of crap.  If I am going to pay a lot of money for a new guitar, I expect it to look like a new guitar.  I am perfectly capable of putting a lot of wear and tear on anything (including my own body), so why should I pay more for someone else to make a new guitar look beat up?  As far as the sound of the guitar, I wasn't impressed.  It just didn't sound "Wow" to me.

Some people really appreciate the look and feel of a well-worn guitar, but it's definitely not for everyone.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2024 at 12:51 PM, Larryz said:

...and I can't stand the relic concept!  It's like taking a chain saw and acid to a brand new perfectly good guitar...

I'm with you on that. Rolled fretboard edges, having the back and sides of the neck either bare or oiled and waxed instead of a more conventional 'hard finish', things that impact the feel and comfort of a guitar, are about as far down that pike that I care to go.

Dweezil is an excellent player and did a great job demonstrating the guitar. 

He's outstanding! really impressive, ain't he?

I would have like to hear it clean with no pedals straight in with a little less verb. 

Me, too. The pickups are the most interesting feature there for me. There are other ways to get a lot of useful pickup-combinations via a special selector-switch that I'd also prefer- such as a Free-Way 3-Way/6-Position switch for the Neck and Bridge pickups, with an added off/on switch for the middle-pickup.

And I'm very curious about just how they accomplished that 'octave-fuzz' sound. I think that I'd just prefer one of my octave-fuzz pedals, though that did sound very good and very consistent over a very broad range of the fretboard!

On 7/4/2024 at 12:43 PM, Winston Psmith said:

Looking at the Finish options for that model, on the Shabat website, it seems that there's no "Clean" option, as in "No Antiquing." You get to choose among degrees of "Antiquing," with the highest priced option being what I would think of as the "beat-to-hell" look!?!?! No, thanks .

For the amount of money that they're asking for, I'd insist on getting any kind of finish I damn well pleased!  :laugh: And I'm with you concerning the overdone fake "relic" approach- not for me.

On 7/4/2024 at 12:33 PM, surfergirl said:

I did some research on the company and it appears that they don't use CNC machines, kinda cool but not better. 

For that price I would buy a pair of Susan Tedeschi Telecasters(one backup), and put remaining $700. towards a Bassman Tone Master.

I'd likely take a similar path, myself. And actually, come to think of it, for that kind of money I'd likely get a completely custom-made, hand-crafted Les Paul-styled guitar with a figured-maple top carved from a tree that a tornado dropped across the driveway at the 'old house' where my family used to live... Probably with three P-90 "soap bar" type pickups. "I know a guy"... !!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scott Fraser said:

Relic'ing is a hard pass for me, simply no, don't even ask.

Haahh! :laugh:  I wouldn't. Ask, that is.

• Like 3