Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UEFA EURO 2024

11 minutes ago, zephonic said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2024/07/england-netherlands-harry-kane-penalty-felix-zwayer-fixed

I know you’re gonna say ‘sore loser’ but really…

Let's hope for the sake of the event and the world of pro football that this is just news media stiring click bait up!

I rooted for the Netherlands but tbh they got some real competition there in the second half imho.

Well done England!!

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Was never a penalty for England today. No reason to suspect anything other than the usual poor decision making by refs that have never played the game. Modern football is blighted by continual tinkering with the basic laws around tackling, offsides and handball along with inconsistent application even within the same game by the same ref. On tonight's evidence, players cannot challenge for a ball any more in case their foot touches an opponents in the follow through. 

Despite this,  I'm pleased with the result and seeing the England team show up properly for the first time in the tournament. Theres been many a bad decision in the past that have cost us dear, like the hand of God goal in 1986 where Maradona punched the ball into the net, or the goal not given against Germany in 2010 despite been a foot over the line. It's time we got a break. 

At least this wasn't someone trying to con the ref. The England players looked baffled by the decision. The penalty decision wasn't so much as won by cheating but gifted by some incomprehensible interpretation of the rules by the officials. It would have left a bad taste in the mouth had it been down to one of Harry Kane's disgraceful dives (see Liverpool v Tottenham a few seasons ago - he won't be forgiven for that even if he does capture the trophy for England this year). 

Looking forward to playing Spain on Sunday. They've been the best team throughout and have to be favourites. From tonight's evidence England definitely have a chance. Could be quite the occasion. Let's hope we will be talking about the football and not the officials or VAR. 

Looked like a penalty to me, when you can't follow through on a throw or kick it can change where the ball goes (you see it a lot in thrown balls with American football).  That said, I only saw it once.  If the ball had already left his foot then it's "just" a foul and that's a tough call to make in that spot.

As I said before, if you don't like masses of confusing rules that are tweaked constantly, enjoy soccer and stay far, far away from American football :)  There are what, 6 or 7 refs out there and replay on most things and there are still a ton of controversial results.  Soccer is a beacon of stability and simplicity when compared to that.

No matter what, England played really good yesterday, definitely their best work by far in this cup. The Dutch felt tired, it started out well but soon enough they looked like they were waiting for something...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

I hope so!!!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

13 hours ago, Stokely said:

Looked like a penalty to me, when you can't follow through on a throw or kick it can change where the ball goes (you see it a lot in thrown balls with American football).  That said, I only saw it once.  If the ball had already left his foot then it's "just" a foul and that's a tough call to make in that spot.

As I said before, if you don't like masses of confusing rules that are tweaked constantly, enjoy soccer and stay far, far away from American football :)  There are what, 6 or 7 refs out there and replay on most things and there are still a ton of controversial results.  Soccer is a beacon of stability and simplicity when compared to that.

Apparently, according to strict rules it could be interpreted as a case for penalty, but it seems the circumstances have been questioned as it is more of an unfortunate accidental thing than anything else, whatever, England would probably have won anyway, they performed really great yesterday!

(I rooted for the Netherlands, but slightly disappointed about their passive stance in this match...).

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I only caught the highlights but it looked like a better game than the crapfest that was the Uruguay/Columbia game.  I really dislike most of the South American teams, they take faking injuries to a whole new level.  There could have been 20 minutes of extra time added to the 2nd half--that's why I'd much prefer having an actual clock you can stop.  They ended up adding only 7 which was unfair to Uruguay IMO.  With a clock, if you get someone writhing in agony for ages on the field, go ahead, it won't shorten the game (and miraculously, no stretcher was called AND the dude was sprinting up and down on the sideline right after he finally made it there).

There almost literally wasn't a play in that game that I saw that shouldn't have been a foul.  I get that soccer allows bodying off that ball and being physical, but this was way more than that.  Ugly, ugly, ugly.

I still can't believe Suarez is allowed out there after taking a giant chomp out of opponents three separate times over the years that I'm aware of.  What a creepy freak.

The right team won, good matches all the way through, very consistent and hard focused team!!

Viva España!!!

• Thanks 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

The best team won, well deserved. Congrats!

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

13 hours ago, Ibarch said:

Well done Spain. Quite a good team there. 

England should be pleased with how close they got. Can compete with the best - even if they can't quite win. 

Agree. Spain had by far the harder side of the draw, and the more difficult journey to the final. 

Cheers Mike.

31 minutes ago, mobi said:

Though she's fake, not Spanish, she's Swedish (just like me 🙃)...

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

Agree. Spain had by far the harder side of the draw, and the more difficult journey to the final. 

Besides:

First to win 4 Euro (1964, 2008, 2012,2024)

First to win all games (7)

Record of goals scored in a Euro (15)

Youngest player to score and win a Euro  (Lamine Yamal, 16 years old)

Oldest player to win a Euro l (Jesus Navas, 38)

• Like 2
  • Cool 1