Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Their Best Work Later in Life

I’ve always had a soft spot for musicians who do some of their best work later in life (thank you, Johannes Brahms), and I recently discovered an album that Bonnie Raitt released a couple of years ago: Just Like That…. Unlike some older artists who insist on relating to adolescents, Riatt’s lyrics speak to her stage of life, especially in “Living for the Ones,” written two years into the pandemic. I don’t know how anyone can listen to the lyrics without them tugging at their hearts. It’s a good thing they’re framed in a rocker, or it would be too much to handle:

Here’s the song, “Something's Got a Hold of My Heart,” that originally called my attention to the album:

I think Raitt is still at the top of her game, well into her 70s. I can only hope the same for the rest of us.

Who inspires you in their golden years?

Best,

Geoff

• Love 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

It doesn't qualify as his "best stuff later in life", but I am continually blown away by how well Herbie Hancock plays today. The depth of his explorations and his commitment to the moment astound me for an artist in his 80's.

• Cool 1
  • Love 1

On 5/23/2024 at 5:25 AM, analogika said:

William Shatner's "Has Been" leaves me a complete mess every time I put it on. Love that album. 

Produced by Ben Folds! The perfect marriage of broad audience sensibility and quirky weirdness.

I know you can't call this his "best work" because of that little English band he was in in the 60s, but I feel like Paul McCartney had a huge renaissance, and did some of his most consistently good solo work in his 50s and 60s, somewhere between 1997's Flaming Pie and 2007's Memory Almost Full. Admittedly, I have a bias: those are the records he put out when I was getting into my teens and at my peak Beatles fandom. But I don't think I'm alone in thinking that that post-Beatles Anthology run had him making some of his highest-quality songwriting and studio production of his post-Beatle years. 2001's Driving Rain, in particular, benefited from the chemistry with the musicians who would go on to back him on tour for the next 20 years and counting, Rusty Anderson and Abe Laboriel Jr. (plus the absolutely stellar Gabe Dixon, now of Tedeschi Trucks Band, on funkier, gnarlier keyboards than one almost ever hears on Macca's records). It was not a bad time to be growing up as a younger Beatles fan.

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

All great examples!

It seems more natural for jazz artists to be at (or near) the top of their game later in life, because the gig demands they keep their chops and improvisational skills in shape.

Unfortunately, some health issues can stop us in our tracks, as happened with Keith Jarrett and Linda Ronstadt; so it’s a far from universal feat to accomplish those goals.

Best,

Geoff

I feel like actors and actresses can still reach a peak late in life, and perhaps some instrumental musicians (e.g. jazz or film scores). I think it’s really tough for a pop/rock act to peak at an older age, particularly vocalists. I almost think it’s unfair that vocalists are expected to continue to perform well into their 50’s or 60’s (and even 70’s), and many just can’t do it … We wouldn’t expect a baseball player to be as sharp at that age.

When it comes to pop/rock, I rarely hear an album as fresh and vibrant as the early work when they are regrettably poor and hungry. Once the cash and rewards tumble in, the work can sometimes suffer, or the ambition isn’t the same.

Todd

Sundown

Just finished: GatewayThe Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I do like I/O quite a bit, but agree that it's not among his best. His live shows are still astonishingly great.

• Like 1

I'll stick to mostly well-known pop stuff, as there's quite a few artists around the world who achieve this but play different kinds of music.

David Bowie. His last release stands among his best work.

Tom Waits. This guy's music seemed to keep getting better and better.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse. His album "Psychedelic Pill", among others, is woefully overlooked.

LCD Soundsystem

Sonic Youth

Djivan Gasparyan kept releasing astonishingly beautiful stuff, some of the most elegant, emotional music I've ever heard. I mention him because you may not recognize his name, but he's all over some film soundtracks, and it's almost a guarantee you've heard his name.

Lucinda Willams is a total gem.

Ali Farke Toure. Malian guitarist consistently ranked by Rolling Stone and Spin as one of the greatest guitarists of all time, so I'll slip this on as well.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. His collaborations and such, recording at Peter Gabriel's RealWorld Studios were stunning, reaching a wider, Western audience before his passing.

Ted Hawkins (his last album was his greatest album)

Emmylou Harris - "Wrecking Ball' and other releases were some of her greatest musical moments.

• Like 2

I've been watching Ry Cooder play live since the 80s. He's 77 now and he just keeps getting better. He plays less flash and more sweet stuff now. It's kind of like getting wiser with age. 

• Like 1

Paul Simon's output from 2000 on is at a very, very high level for the most part.  He turned 59 in 2000, put out That's Where I Belong, which is a real gem.  He's never stopped evolving his style, moving on to new ideas and sounds.  His best?  I'll just say, if his only output was what he's done since 2000, he would still earn his status as a national treasure.

I suppose his latest, Seven Psalms, might be his last for the spry octogenarian as he's had a lot of hearing loss.  But he's definitely of the rare type, a life-long creative talent.

nat

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 7:56 AM, dmitch57 said:

I've been watching Ry Cooder play live since the 80s. He's 77 now and he just keeps getting better. He plays less flash and more sweet stuff now. It's kind of like getting wiser with age. 

This is another great example. He's super great and seemingly gets better and better.

• Like 1

I would add Mark Knopfler. His solo albums have been like the continuing journeys of a slightly eccentric uncle of the family who vanishes for a while and theh suddenly knocks on the door again with new colorful tales.

Knopfler, to me, exemplifies aging gracefully (and sanely) on the trip from rock idol to singer-songwriter, giving us some gorgeous experiences along the way.

C.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether or not to include Ben Folds in this category. He's "only" 57, not a spring chicken but not all that late in life either.

I've been enjoying his 2023 release, What Matter Most. Folds is still doing great work. Here's a song he wrote about being past his peak of fame:

Here's one more:

Best,

Geoff