Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cherry Audio Chroma!

10 minutes ago, cherryDan said:

This feature is so incredibly obscure and cumbersome that we decided early-on to jettison it from our design.

Understood. Just glad to know RABid and I aren't entirely senile yet :D

Moe

---

58 minutes ago, mate stubb said:

Actually, if you set the Release value full up it engages Threshold, and you can set a slow and a fast release value. It's cumbersome and uses obscure SET SPLIT functions, but you can modulate between 2 release times. The programming manual seems to hint that they are looking at release velocity (as they should):

You beat me to it. Page 43 of the manual. Most often used to determine decay after release on pad and string patches. A quick release would shorten the release time of the ADSR.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

46 minutes ago, mate stubb said:

Understood. Just glad to know RABid and I aren't entirely senile yet :D

I still swear there was a feature on the organ patches that a negative mod lever swipe would turn the modulation on and off. I played a lot of organ parts on that synth. It actually had a decent organ patch and Leslie effect. Good enough for me to leave the Hammond and Leslie behind when I moved to the city. (Now, I will admit that I am getting old, and I could have been using a pedal to bring in the Leslie effect.)

By the way, my favorite feature of the original Chroma, auto tune. I spent 3 hours every Sunday with the lid up on my MemoryMoog, adjusting 18 oscillators for tune, stretch and curve, or what ever they were calling it then. Never had to do anything to the Chroma.

• Like 1

This is my favorite sound demo so far. It's an hour of well played stuff, lots of really good ambient things.

I put it on in the background and just listen as I do other things.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Moe

---

That's an impressive set. I like the basic voice, but what's really winning me over is the included Expander. It amps things up considerably. They didn't just double down on this one; its more like quadruple, as the modeling process was clearly extra-intense. I'm sure that at a few points, they felt like they had the Frankenstein monster's parts and no manual.

I can get similar sounds from the Elka-X, for example, but having two Chromas in one place is pleasantly daunting. There are different routes to take, but my piano side is loving how some of the patches feel as wide as the classic "THX" mega-portamento event. I'm not one who piles up LFOs like some do. I just want a super-broad, playable poly patch that opens a door to another dimension. Izzat so much to ask? 🤨🤯

• Like 2

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

• 2 weeks later...

So I just bought this even though I have too many softsyths already and not enough time. But I just wanted to support Cherry Audio for doing this, they deserve that much for the effort. It also helps ease a teeny bit of regret for passing on acquiring one around 3 decades ago when someone offered to exchange his Chroma for my Synergy II+ (with working Kaypro II computer!).

I hope Cherry sells a lot and more users share patches. 

For me now, just gotta find the time to mess with it!

• Love 1
Raul