Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In That Quiet Earth... Weird Notation

I am recording In That Quiet Earth from Wind and Wuthering and there's an unusual looking chord in the notation.   

Starting from the bass clef going up, it looks like B, D, G#, B. But from the treble clef going down it looks like D,B#,F,D.  

Can anyone convey insight?  Thanks.

Quiet-Earth-Chord.thumb.jpg.0799d35703aa2ec45ee3c2fcf7b2802e.jpg

Steve Coscia

You're right, that is weird. They probably could've used an 8va if those voices were gonna cross like that, but I guess it's just one note.

I see that as the RH/top staff being a D, and the LH being B, D, and G#. The giveaway, in these kinds of situations, are the directions of the note stems. Also notice that that LH chord is a "detached" quarter note, compared to the RH note being in the middle of the phrase on the top staff.

• Like 2

Since the bottom three notes (B, D G#) are not dotted, they fit mathematically with the rhythm in the bass clef, and not with the treble clef.  Thus I would say that chord is played with the left hand, while the single dotted D is played with the right hand.  The stem directions also support that interpretation.

• Like 1

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

22 minutes ago, AWkeys said:

Is that an adaptation? Tony is playing the ARP 2600 there, so at most he has 2 notes of polyphony (duophony). This wouldn't be a direct transcription, then.

Edited to add:  I just did a quick Google and found this video - perhaps this sheds light on the subject. Some nice synth programming in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTW5ZS9gHkk

Yes thanks.  I was watching that video and two other ones.

This sure is a fun semi-retirement project - I never had time for this type of in-depth music projects before.  Whaling a synth solo on top of a sequenced bed track brings me back to 1977. 

• Like 1

Steve Coscia

Tony has been producing his own classical works for years. Its clearly part of what was on his mind early on. Its interesting to take it all in and listen for the wisps of Genesis here and there. Farewell Mellotron, hello real choir.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-CMAmmGoYY

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill