Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Static zaps with a Mac Mini?

I have a Mac Mini and an LG monitor connected via Thunderbolt. Audio is Scarlett 8i6 via USB-C. The problem is static electricity zaps. Often after walking across the room, when I touch the monitor - any metal part including the stand - I hear a static zap in the main speakers (via the Scarlett).

• Amazingly, the Mac Mini does not have a 3-prong AC plug, so it isn't grounded on its own.
  • I tried reversing the Mini's AC plug and that does not help.
  • The monitor is grounded.
  • It looks like Thunderbolt carries a ground signal, but I don't know if that means that the Mac is actually grounded via its TB connection to the monitor.
  • I don't get the audible zaps when I touch the Mini. Or any other piece of metal even remotely connected to any of this gear. Only the monitor.
  • Mac, monitor, Scarlett, and audio amp are all plugged into the same well-grounded AC circuit.
  • This did *not* happen when I had an iMac. So it's got to be something about the Mac Mini or the LG monitor.

The zaps are pretty loud; if the mains are cranked up, the zaps are downright scary. Anyone ever see/hear anything like this? Any words of wisdom? Thanks.

17 hours ago, dmitch57 said:

• I don't get the audible zaps when I touch the Mini. Or any other piece of metal even remotely connected to any of this gear. Only the monitor.
  • This did *not* happen when I had an iMac. So it's got to be something about the Mac Mini or the LG monitor.

I have a Mac mini 2020 version. I have an LG monitor, a large one (27"?). Peripherals are mostly plugged into an 8 port USB hub, some are plugged into the 2 USB 1 and 2 USB 3 ports on the Mac mini (including the  USB port). Interface is a MOTU M6, which will run off USB 2 and/or a wall wart with a 2 prong plug. Speakers are connected to the MOTU as well. Most (but not all) AC power is supplied by a Furman SMP "EVS-LIFT" rack mountable power source with multiple AC outlets, including one on the front of the unit. Condo was built in 2005, apparently the wiring in the building was done to code specs. 

Very low noise floor, always. I'm guessing it's either the monitor or caused by a different device plugged into the same circuit somewhere, it might not even be in the same room. Get one of those plugin widgets with the LED array and test all of your outlets, it sounds like there is a ground problem somewhere in the house circuit. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 4/19/2024 at 6:59 AM, KuruPrionz said:

Get one of those plugin widgets with the LED array and test all of your outlets, it sounds like there is a ground problem somewhere in the house circuit. 

Good idea, I hadn't tested the outlets in my studio for a long time. Alas, they all look good, everything is properly grounded. Very low noise floor for me, also, all the time. It's just static zaps that bedevil me.

I'll get one of those grounding pads you touch when you start working. Maybe that'll help. Thanks.

• Like 2