Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland SC-55mkII Emulation

So the Roland Cloud version is apparently a generic sample player with samples from the SC-8820.   This developer is a fan of the SC-55mkII and is emulating it down to the hardware level.  

“This new project (https://github.com/nukeykt/Nuked-SC55) is recreating a perfect emulation of the Roland SC55mkII by emulating the CPU and the PCM chip by using microscope images of the decapped cores. I've tried it with several MIDI files and it's indistinguishable from the original.

I've packaged it into an AudioUnit component to be used with Logic Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxIF8f454ns

The CPU and the PCM chip are also identical to the JV-80/880, so if somebody ever dumps the rom of those we could get a perfect emulation plugin for them as well!”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

30 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

I can't believe the hardware module goes for $150+ in the U.S.
Folks still use these?

Seen them on eBay for $300... "vintage" 🤣

• Haha 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

45 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

SoundCanvases are _huge_ in the video game chiptune scene, that nostalgic lo-fi sound where you know you're listening to a trumpet, but would never believe it's the real thing.

Kicks the soundblaster’s ass, unless you really want it to sound like a soundblaster.  😊

• Haha 1

I used it for my piano in the 90s.  Could cut through the mix like no one’s business.  I should pull it out and see if it still fires up.  

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

8 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Seen them on eBay for $300... "vintage" 🤣

Well damn...technically it is vintage. Bank on another SoundCanvas MKII going up! It just never gets used.

28 minutes ago, JoJoB3 said:

SOUND BLASTER

Now-thats-a-name-I-havent-heard-in-years-meme-9.jpg

Yeah back in the day all the Gateway PCs came with it and a surprisingly powerful set of speakers.   I can never get those sounds from playing the game of Hearts through those out of my head.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I remember how obsessed I was with a track from my favorite game The Incredible Machine, a funky fusion jazz in the style of Mezzoforte. I had a SoundBlaster while the father of a friend of mine had a SC at home, I think he used to work for the TV and composed jingles with it. That same track sounded so good on the SC compared to the SB although the SB was in turn a dream come true for me. 

Here’s the track in SB:

And here’s what I believe must be the SC, although it’s not mentioned explicitly:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

I remember how obsessed I was with a track from my favorite game The Incredible Machine, a funky fusion jazz in the style of Mezzoforte. I had a SoundBlaster while the father of a friend of mine had a SC at home, I think he used to work for the TV and composed jingles with it. That same track sounded so good on the SC compared to the SB although the SB was in turn a dream come true for me. 

Here’s the track in SB:

And here’s what I believe must be the SC, although it’s not mentioned explicitly:

True true.  

On 4/6/2024 at 2:31 PM, CyberGene said:

I remember how obsessed I was with a track from my favorite game The Incredible Machine, a funky fusion jazz in the style of Mezzoforte. I had a SoundBlaster while the father of a friend of mine had a SC at home, I think he used to work for the TV and composed jingles with it. That same track sounded so good on the SC compared to the SB although the SB was in turn a dream come true for me...

Excellent piece! Sierra games had some great MIDI tracks, here's a favorite of mine:

• Love 1