Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Atmos Binaural vs. Stereo Comparison

This song has a denser mix than my last Atmos vs. Stereo comparison, and I think the difference is pretty obvious. Again, the Atmos version is headphones only.

But there's a twist: I added an EQ curve to the stereo mix that made the overall EQ response more like the Atmos one. I can't help but wonder if Atmos hypes the response a bit. (This blog post gives more information on making downmixes more "Atmosey." It uses Studio One, but applies to any DAW with Atmos mixing.) This made the stereo downmix sound a bit more like the Atmos mix.

Anyway...check 'em out, I think y'all will dig the production, regardless of any other factors.

First of all: really nice work, brother Craig! :rocker:

I listened to both mixes on my earbuds, both with and without the Spatializer setting engaged. Not surprisingly, it was easier to hear the differences between the two mixes with the Spatializer off.

I do hear what you did on the stereo mix with the EQ…but biggest difference for me was more about the way the instruments sat from a placement POV.  In that respect, my preference by far was for the Atmos mix.  For lack of a better word, I feel like the overall coherence of the total mix worked better for me in the Atmos mix, from where and how the vocals sat to the balance and sonics of the drums.  The guitar and keyboard parts also seemed to mesh better in the Atmos mix - it was easier for me to hear more separation on the stereo mix, where the Atmos mix had what I felt was better integration.

Does that make sense?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

3 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

What kind of monitoring system are you using for your Atmos mixing? 

Headphones! I render to binaural, because I post my music on YouTube. YouTube can't play back multichannel files (at least not yet) but binaural isn't a problem. 

Judging by the PreSonus forums, most users don't realize what it means that Atmos can render to binaural. Given that a huge number of people listen on headphones these days, this isn't as much of a limitation as it may seem. I liken it to when stereo came out. Not everyone had stereo turntables, so records were released in mono and stereo. Eventually, stereo took over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 4:57 PM, Dave Bryce said:

The guitar and keyboard parts also seemed to mesh better in the Atmos mix - it was easier for me to hear more separation on the stereo mix, where the Atmos mix had what I felt was better integration.

Does that make sense?

Totally! Think of it this way. There's a row of objects with spaces between them. Behind it is another row of objects, which you can see through the spaces. If looked at head-on from the front, you can clearly see the differentiation of where the front row object ends, and the object in the back. That's stereo. With Atmos, it's like you're standing 10 feet higher, and looking down on the two rows of objects. You can see their spatial relationship to each other much better, although the dividing lines between the objects as seen from the front aren't as obvious.

Hmmm...maybe I should draw a picture.

• Like 1