Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Half-Damper pedal

I bought 2 K2700s. One has been updated to OS 4.46.37288, the other just arrived, with OS 4.42.36098.

Since the K2700 supports half-damper, I want to use it. Kurz doesn't make a triple pedal with Half-Damper, so I bought a Kawaii one.

Plugged in to the OS 4.42 unit, the pedal generates MIDI data CC64, MSB = 0-70, and when MSB goes above 64, LSB sends 127; seems correct.

Plugged in to the (latest) OS 4.46 unit, the same pedal generates MIDI data CC64, MSB and LSB = 0 or 127. ???

Can any of you verify that a continuous pedal works in the Ped1 input with this OS?

Not sure what value pot that input is looking for, will the 0-70 range work?

Contacted Kurz support, will update here upon reply.

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kurzweil suggests the KP-1H is their match for half damper.... theoretically they say Korg pedals are wired the same way, like the DS-1H.   I wonder if a Korg PU-2 could have a cable made for it to replace the proprietary pedal and work with the K2700.   I would reach out to Kurzweil on this one.  Although we do have some very knowledgeable Kurz users on this forum.  

"Half-Damper Pedals

The K2700 also supports connecting half-damper pedals (sold separately) to either of the switch pedal inputs.

The Kurzweil KP-1H half-damper pedal is the recommended pedal and is available via any Kurzweil dealer.

In addition, there are several other manufacturers of half-damper pedals on the market. Not all are compatible or interchangeable.

KORG pedals are compatible with the K2700.

ROLAND and YAMAHA pedals are not compatible."

Thinking about this for a few minutes - does the K2700 offer una corda samples on any piano sample libraries?   Or does it support lowering the volume by a set amount via a third pedal?   You may consider just making your own dual or triple pedal using the KP-1 a KP-1H for the damper pedal.  Attach the pedals to a flat board - paint it black if you like.  Even build a little box as a pedal cover if you want it to look like Kawai's GFP-3. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks, Elmer. I am aware of the info you share, thanks. My post is specifically asking for help understanding the difference in behavior of the latest OS vs the one on a new unit I received.

Also, I guess I wasn't clear? ...neither KORG or Kurzweil make a triple pedal with Half-Damper functionality, so I'm asking for help in using a Kawaii unit. It seems to work with the old OS, but oddly not with the current one.

I'll ask again, can someone please let me know if they have been able to get a half-damper pedal (of any brand) to work on a K2700, and if so which OS?

3 minutes ago, Bill Spencer said:

Thanks, Elmer. I am aware of the info you share, thanks. My post is specifically asking for help understanding the difference in behavior of the latest OS vs the one on a new unit I received.

Also, neither KORG or Kurzweil make a triple pedal with Half-Damper functionality, so I'm asking for help in using a Kawaii unit. It seems to work with the old OS, but oddly not with the current one.

I'll ask again, can someone please let me know if they have been able to get a half-damper pedal (of any brand) to work on a K2700, and if so which OS?

That's interesting.   So you had the Kawai triple pedal working - left switch for soft, center for sostenuto, and half damper on the right prior to receiving your new K2700 with the most recent OS update?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

15 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

That's interesting.   So you had the Kawai triple pedal working - left switch for soft, center for sostenuto, and half damper on the right prior to receiving your new K2700 with the most recent OS update?

No. I ordered two K2700s. The pedal I’ve been using does not have half damping.

I received the first K2700, updated the OS to the latest version, have been using it with the old non-half damper triple pedal. Works fine. Decided to order a triple pedal with half damper functionality- neither Kurtz or KORG make one of these, so I ordered a Kawaii unit.

The 2nd K2700 Has not yet been updated to the new OS. Just for convenience sake (the other unit is semi-permanently installed in my studio desk) I plugged the new Kawai pedal into this one, it seems to work based on the information I’m seeing in the MIDI monitor and STATE tools on the 2700.

I was surprised then when I plugged the same pedal in to the updated K2700 that that I’m not seeing any indication that the half damper is functioning, it is reporting data as if it were a simple on off pedal.

So weirdly, it seems to work with the older OS but not with the most recent. 

in order to solve this issue, while waiting to hear back from support, I’m asking any users if they have successfully used a half damper pedal with their 2700 and if so what brand of pedal and what OS on the keyboard.

I hope this helps clarify.

Update- I tried a Roland DP-10 sus pedal, which has a "switch/continuous" switch on it. It works on the K2700 for half-damper in the continuous mode. The K2700 does seem to 'calibrate' the pedal, as it takes a few full-on/full-off cycles before it generates 0-127.

Awesome. Unforch, the K2700 with the latest OS still won't send anything but 0 or 127. Pretty sure this is a bug in the latest OS.

BTW, apologies for not referencing Kurz K2700 in the subject line, I thought this was a Kurz-specific forum. Is there a Kurz-dedicated forum I should investigate?

25 minutes ago, Bill Spencer said:

Update- I tried a Roland DP-10 sus pedal, which has a "switch/continuous" switch on it. It works on the K2700 for half-damper in the continuous mode. The K2700 does seem to 'calibrate' the pedal, as it takes a few full-on/full-off cycles before it generates 0-127.

Awesome. Unforch, the K2700 with the latest OS still won't send anything but 0 or 127. Pretty sure this is a bug in the latest OS.

BTW, apologies for not referencing Kurz K2700 in the subject line, I thought this was a Kurz-specific forum. Is there a Kurz-dedicated forum I should investigate?

This is super interesting - I used to use a DP-10 with my PC4, but eventually realized that it was never at "0", and so there was always a small amount of sustain present in half-damper mode.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

If you're patient and hunt around, you can find the triple damper pedal by CME, which sends the right MIDI data to any keyboard and has a continuous damper pedal...

https://bluesangelmusic.com/product/cme-gpp-3-piano-style-midi-pedal

I've often contemplated getting one for Pianoteq, reassigning the Una Corda to the fourth pedal in the plug-in...

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music