Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A non-scientific but very useful comparison of Apple silicon CPUs with DAWs

https://youtu.be/FSqX4bt9to4?si=iB5XUgD_BWmTvjvP

I don't know why no publication or site will just do the work and create an apples to apples comparison as unbiased as possible, but that has always been my lament about music gear marketing. You may find this useful since Apple's taxonomy for their M chips is intentionally vague..."Max" and "Pro" should not be values in the same measuring system.

• Like 2

"For instance" is not proof.

Thanks.  I like his vids, but I agree it's non-scientific.   Using one particular plugin to draw conclusions from seems a bit odd to me, I'd like it if at least there were a few others in play other than just the Neural DSP Nolly guitar plugin.

That aside, it's a bit concerning that Apple's own DAW not only seems to perform worse than others on Apple's own hardware, but worse the newer the hardware is. 

There are other considerations beyond efficiency when picking hardware and a daw.  For example if the most I'd ever use would be say 15 instances of Diva (which might or might not perform similarly to the Nolly plugin), does it really matter if I can "only" use 64, or 164?  Obviously a pro user might not know what they need from client to client.

For me, it's all moot because I just inherited my wife's M1 MBP as she prefers her imac--wish it had 32GB of ram but gift horses and all that!   Not too soon either, because some of my newer plugins--in particular a few Native Instruments Kontakt libraries-- are giving my 2016 MBP some problems.   My biggest headache with that MBP has simply been that I dislike the usb-c dongles I have to use, they tend to drop out if I breathe on the thing.   That alone was leading me toward the Studio before my wife gave me this one :) 

• Like 1

I'm naturally concerned about the lop-sided performance between models, but after sleeping on it for a while, I realized that I haven't had to freeze a Logic track since I landed the M1 Mini. I'm not mixing a Pink Floyd or Zimmer album and juggling 112 of them, so I haven't had any issues. We'll see where things are at upgrade time, but I get the feeling that even with the clunkiest M model, I'll never notice a change. I'll cross my fingers and hope I never have to eat those words. 🙄

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"