Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Economy of motion in playing chordal changes, melody and solos

One of the things that Russ Ferrante emphasizes in his teaching is economy of motion when moving between chords and during melody lines and improv solos.

It ties in with good voice leading in the chordal motion, however he emphasizes how this leads to smooth and natural sounding playing as opposed to hopping around between chords that sound very much more disjointed.    I have been trying to incorporate this idea in my playing (and was reminded of it by a lot from the Brad Mehldau recordings that have come up recently).  Larry Goldings is also a master at this.

Here's a good example of this with Russ playing his up tempo tune "Out of Town" (I think there may be better ones, but his melody and solo playing here really blows yet demonstrating his ideas and and displays an understated nature).  It's all Bob can do to keep up with Russ in spots :) .

Comments  of similar or different experiences welcome!

• Like 4

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3