Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Jimmy Messina interview

Last weekend when I bought my new mandolin at Guitar Center I picked up a free tabloid called "Wood & Steel" on the way out, thinking it had something to do with acoustic instruments. It does, but it's actually a quarterly newsletter from Taylor Guitars. I leafed through it and found a GREAT interview/article on Jimmy Messina. I read that with great interest, being a huge Poco fan (did you know two guys tried out for Poco and were rejected, one each Gram Parsons and Gregg Allman!). If you're a country-rock fan you might want to pick this up, price is certainly right! It's a two-parter, the rest of the article will be published in the fall.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Messina was my idol for years. I copied everything he ever played in Loggins & Messina.

Once when he played the Northwest as a solo act, I put one of my songs on a cassette, taped it to a Jack Daniels bottle and sent it to his hotel room with my contact information on a note.

Never heard from him. I tell myself the bellman must have drank it and thrown away the tape. That way I can justify my ego. :cry:

Originally posted by Middle Man:

I put one of my songs on a cassette, taped it to a Jack Daniels bottle and sent it to his hotel room with my contact information on a note.

See. There you go. It was the Jack Daniels that did you in.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

yeah jimmy messina gets talked about quite abit over @ the surf site, as he had a great instro surf album out in the 60s-'jimmessina and the jesters' and it rocks the house, all double-pickin and reverbin and a great rendition of 'the breeze and i'! but mr. messina refutes that time and says he was just messin' around and wont do interviews concerning equipment and songwriting or anything-probably none in this interview either huh?

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I had the good fortune of attending one of Jim's "Songwriting workshops" that he holds. It's held over five days (this one was in Hilton Head Island, SC). It changed me not only as a songwriter but as a musician and a person. Jim is a very special person and when your around him your creative antenna is wide open. There were around 20 of us from around the country attending this workshop.

It's really hard for me to describe the experience but when you leave your senses of your surroundings are very in tune.

The workshop culminated with an in the round concert held at a local club.

I've also been to Jim's studio. Jim had the foresight to pull a ton of old gear out of Capitol when he was a house producer there. Man does he have some killer vintage rack gear..

He really is one of the nicest people you will meet in this industry.

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Archived