Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does Anyone Have Apple's Vision Pro Yet?

Just curious...it looks like it could live up to the hype, especially after it gets more support.

I figure some of you bleeding-edge folks might have some thoughts about it...or is it sufficiently expensive you're in no hurry to check it out?

I see it as first-gen, with a serious shakedown cruise ahead. It'll live or die by how inviting the software really is and how many people get vertigo & barf 20 minutes into a session. It has some distance to cover before I'd see it as a practical replacement for Logic, which would be my main consideration. I'm closer to being below the ground than above it, so I'll never see it as a portal for an Only Fans account. :rolleyes:

We'll surely see things like discreet transport controls on a virtual panel, under your preferred hand and tilted back by 20 degrees. Jean-Michel Jarre has been showing off larger but similar setups. How practical that will be when I'm personally in the zone is still TBD. It'll have to trickle down and be refined by a few more notches. Like MPE, this is a new paradigm that won't solidify overnight.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I can't help but think I'm looking at a Scuba diver on land every time I see a picture of someone. It's a ridiculous product.

IMO It is a Guaranteed Failure, second only to Google Glass, third to Apple Lisa. 

I'll take bets here with anyone who disagrees and wants to gamble :) .

Man I wish Tim Cook would issue 5:1,  10:1, 100:1 or 1000:1 odds on Vision making $1B.    I think I would bet $10k against in any case. (though I'd have to think hard about 5:1).

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The idea of eventually having three six-foot displays right above the console and the side-racks, with additional plug-in instances set right aside the physical hardware (apparently, they absolutely nailed — pun intended — location persistence of windows), with zero concern to acoustics and obscuring monitor speakers etc., is worth the money on its own. 

Motion sickness does not appear to be an issue with AVP at all, because a) pass-through is that good, and b) it's not aimed at gaming/movement and the necessary compromises involved with making that work in a headset. 

• Like 2

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Roger Linn has one. He is really enjoying it. On a recent zoom call, he appeared in two windows, one with him sitting and wearing the mask and the other of his face avatar. You can see screenshots of the two side by side if you go to his website and check the Monthly Meeting page, where he has photos. 

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

13 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

IMO It is a Guaranteed Failure, second only to Google Glass, third to Apple Lisa. 

I think it's more likely to go in the same direction as the iPad. People couldn't make sense of it at first ("it's just a big phone, right? Or maybe a lame computer?"), but the tablet has since become a major product category for multiple manufacturers. 

I've always liked working with companies that hired smart people because the company knew they'd be good for something, and then figured out what their optimum role would be once they were onboard (as opposed to hiring for a "position.") The Vision Pro might be the product equivalent.

• Like 2

My idea of a perfect Zoom call is no video at all, so even as a working-from-home adherent I have no wish to don one of those for that.

It does look completely ridiculous.  More to the point though, I get sick at times gaming on regular monitors (and in cars, definitely on boats) so VR of any sort is just not happening for me.  If it has that solved and as stated it's not for gaming, then fair enough.

I just don't feel the need for something like this.  Most of my logic action is to hit record, if I ****ed up then command z and hit record again :)  I don't need a bunch of plugin windows open, at most one at a time.    That's ok, some people like the bleeding edge and some prefer risking falling off the rounded trailing edge :D   

Perhaps Apple knows that the average bear is not going to purchase this, and that it's geared toward developers. They get developers on board, and are eventually able to release an even more completely refined version for considerably less coin. Who knows?

The public has been very resistant to "wearables" so far. Will it change? I don't know. It will take a long time if it does.

But regardless, I get the idea that Apple knows that this is not going to sell like iPhones.

By the way, when iPads were first introduced, I was one of the few people on this forum that thought it would fly. Most people said that it was like a large phone or made from the name, comparing it to diapers. I feel like just because you and I won't buy it doesn't mean that there isn't a "long game" being played here. Will it ultimately succeed? I don't know. But my guess is that there's a better chance of it eventually taking root than many here think there is.

Bear in mind this is augmented reality, not necessarily virtual reality. I see tutorials as a fantastic application. For example, suppose I do a tutorial on how to compress vocals. You can be looking at your DAW while in the upper right hand corner, there's an image of me moving the controls on a compressor, and describing what to expect, so you can try it on your own compressor.

Or...imagine if you did live sound for a living. A library of venues, where you could take virtual tours, would give you an idea of what to expect before you got there.

3 years ago, I did a Keynote address for the Pro Audio + Radio Summit called "What's Next?". There's a 3-minute segment about AR/VR that starts here, and pretty much anticipates how something like the Vision Pro will be used.

4 hours ago, Anderton said:

I've always liked working with companies that hired smart people because the company knew they'd be good for something, and then figured out what their optimum role would be once they were onboard (as opposed to hiring for a "position.") The Vision Pro might be the product equivalent.

I don't see it being a mainstream consumer product, but it could find a niche like the Segway did with security guards.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

3 hours ago, Anderton said:

Bear in mind this is augmented reality, not necessarily virtual reality. I see tutorials as a fantastic application. For example, suppose I do a tutorial on how to compress vocals. You can be looking at your DAW while in the upper right hand corner, there's an image of me moving the controls on a compressor, and describing what to expect, so you can try it on your own compressor.

Or...imagine if you did live sound for a living. A library of venues, where you could take virtual tours, would give you an idea of what to expect before you got there.

3 years ago, I did a Keynote address for the Pro Audio + Radio Summit called "What's Next?". There's a 3-minute segment about AR/VR that starts here, and pretty much anticipates how something like the Vision Pro will be used.

That was quite useful on several fronts. I get the blockchain deal and I've known about MIDI show control for years, but the rest was a welcome addition to my casual data base. Well rendered! :like:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

2 hours ago, David Emm said:

That was quite useful on several fronts. I get the blockchain deal and I've known about MIDI show control for years, but the rest was a welcome addition to my casual data base. Well rendered! :like:

Cool, glad you liked the video! I'm still shocked Taylor Swift hasn't appropriated the SwiftCoin idea to get rid of TicketMaster.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:11 PM, KenElevenShadows said:

The public has been very resistant to "wearables" so far.

Are you talking about products like goggles and glasses? Because from what I've read, "wearables" generally includes things like the Apple Watch and AirPods, which I don't see resistance to.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

16 minutes ago, Joe Muscara said:

Are you talking about products like goggles and glasses? Because from what I've read, "wearables" generally includes things like the Apple Watch and AirPods, which I don't see resistance to.

Yeah, mostly goggles and glasses. The watches had little resistance besides the usual crowd who are out of touch and resistant to anything new anyway. And I never considered AirPods or anything wearables since they aren't smart devices, but regardless, definitely I was not thinking of them when writing this. Goggles and glasses.

• Like 1

Maybe Apple could produce a mouthpiece to simulate either a snorkel or a SCUBA regulator to go with the Goggles to train divers (maybe using a bathtub or a pool?).   They could even simulate you getting stuck in a cave or tangled up in a shipwreck and cut off your oxygen supply before you have to rip it off.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

12 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Maybe Apple could produce a mouthpiece to simulate either a snorkel or a SCUBA regulator to go with the Goggles to train divers (maybe using a bathtub or a pool?).   They could even simulate you getting stuck in a cave or tangled up in a shipwreck and cut off your oxygen supply before you have to rip it off.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Linus posted a review that's incredibly hilarious.    Each time he wears the Apple Vision, the outline of red inflammation around his eyes gets progressively worse!  Hahah!    I'd never seen anything better as a passive aggressive prediction of a Fail !  

He pretty much tosses them in the trash as nowhere near ready for prime time other than an expensive novelty.    

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 3/11/2024 at 7:12 AM, analogika said:

Was this Dyson trying to counteract their bathroom hand dryer public relations and bacteriological disaster?  :)  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3