Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif content into Montage?

What original (I guess ”Classic”) Motif content can the Montage (1st gen) load? 

I know it can load the XS/XF stuff, and someone has converted all the ES Voices - but not the Performances. 

Is there a way to get the Performances from the earlier Motifs (Classic/ES) or the MO series into a Montage somehow? I know there’s overlap in the Voices throughout the whole line (Classic/ES/XS/XF). You have ”Vintage ’74” on each model etc. The MO series - I had a MO8 - was based on the ES but had some unique Performances. 

On the Classic models, Performances were also called Multis, because I think it only had a drum part arpeggiator. But none of those patches appeared on the ES. 

I’m nostalgic for a few patches. Plus, I have a few song sketches done on those models that don’t sound right on a Montage (obviously) as I have no recollection which particular Voices I used. Is there a point in buying a Motif Rack or a Motif ES Rack just for those sounds? 

Hey, so one of the annoying things that happened when the Montage/MODX was released is that they don't support one of the older data compression formats that Yamaha used on some samples. This unfortunately includes the PowerGrand sample, which was the main piano in the Motif Classic. I have that loaded into my Motif XF8, but can't load it into my MODX. The other thing to know is that even when the preset names stayed consistent across generations, the actual samples used changed. So some of the string patches you may have liked from the Classic/ES may not be present in the XS/XF content which is included in the Montage.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Yes, I was specifically talking about "Classic" Motif content - the first ever model, the ES and the MO series. All the various models also had new patches that weren't on the other units. For instance, while it's based on the same ROM, the so-called "budget" MO series had patches that weren't on the more expensive flagship ES.

I think the XS was the point when they overhauled everything, even though some preset names are the same still to this day.

Like I said, Yamaha has provided all the XS/XF Performances (they reprogrammed them to use the Montage controls, which is great), and someone has somehow converted most of the ES Voices (although I don't know how accurate they actually are) but I'd also like to have the multis a.ka Performances from those earlier machines. I tried finding an "ALL" file of the factory data for all these, but they don't seem to be available anywhere...

• Like 1

Since you mentioned the converted ES preset voices, I'm suspecting you've already searched through the threads over at Motifator, but if not, this might be helpful.

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/469833/

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments