Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oppenheimer

Last evening I attended a re-release of the film Oppenheimer at the AMC Theater in Plainville, CT.

It is highly recommended by me to see and hear this in a theater. The surround sound with added theatrical subwoofers in that setting does justice to the buzz about the film. The soundtrack is almost continuous throughout the 3-hour epic.

I am still processing how the film stacks up in my personal list of all-time favorites. But, director Christopher Nolan and composer Ludwig Goransson have made a most creative film with depth and ingenuity.

Below is a video link where the composer speaks about one particular cue whose genesis begins simply and then becomes very complicated in a most unique manner. 

Opposing viewpoints welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWvX4M1dXss&list=RDCMUCgRQHK8Ttr1j9xCEpCAlgbQ

• Like 3

I agree that big movies should be seen in big theaters. My only exposure to Oppenheimer though was during a family gathering a few weeks ago. Case in point about the soundtrack: I found the continuous use of ostinato strings leading up to the test explosion irritating at home, but it was probably a different experience in a theater.   

I saw 'Oppenheimer' in September in an IMAX theatre. It was my first time watching a movie in the theater since February 2020. Göransson's soundtrack was the thing that blew me away the most about the movie. It was relentless, it hit you HARD. It was immersive. I was impressed. 

Though LG has been known for his work in films and TV shows, he's also been a music producer. I had no idea until a few months ago that he actually produced this tune:

He's also worked with Adele: