Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Turn it Down !!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

Loud music lung collapse warning

Jesus,

I should have been dead years ago. I used to sleep in a double 18" ported cabinet (5ftx5ftx3ft) equipped with 1000W EVX's or RCF's...we had four of those puppies on each side of the stage (floor), each CABINET powered by a QSC MX2000. The regular bass bins (2 x15", horn loaded) 6-8 per side, would be on the stage wings.

What % of the population is susceptible to this Mats?

NYC Drew

The sad thing is how long it's taken anyone to recognize the potential for this.

How many of us have seen film of the concrete and steel, Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington state thrashing around like a playground swing in the wind, finally crumbling to dust? Forced oscillation of standing waves is hardly an unknown concept, yet no one appears to have investigated the effects of high powered, low frequency, music levels on the human body. Stand next to a dual 18" subwoofer and it seems entirely logical that your lungs (as well as other organs) could easily resonate to a tear.

Scary to think we only are hearing about this 30 years after subwoofers came into their own enough to simulate shocks in movie theaters for the film, Earthquake, let alone rock concerts and amusement park rides that put similar high leve, low frequency drivers in common use.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

This doesn't surprise me at all.

I often sip coffee and browse the web outside my favorite coffee house. At least once every half hour to an hour a mobile chest-compression device (ie, bump-truck, soundwagon, torture-mobile) pulls up to the light with sub-woofers woofing for all they're worth.

(It used to be even worse in my old, mid-urban neighborhood. At times my whole house would literally shake. You could hear the joists rattling, windows shaking worse than an earthquake. Some unbelievable power used unbelievably stupidly.)

The sound is irritating, even if I like the music (when I can even identify it -- so often it's so distorted you don't know if it's Korn or Shyne).

But the worst of it produces deep discomfort in my chest and thorax -- as well as high anxiety. I feel increasingly compelled to go attack the source of the sound. I mean physically attack. This is not a rational thing.

Let's just say it's a good think I don't pack a rocket launcher.

Originally posted by billster:

Maybe if the hipsters with those bass bins start crapping themselves while driving :evil:

They sure are a fun bunch to talk though....

Me: "Nice ride."

Hipster: "Huh?"

Me: "NICE RIDE."

Hipster: "What did you say?"

Me: "NICE RIDE!!!"

Hipster: "I'm not crying!"

Me: "Oh, nevermind."

Hipster: "Five O'Clock."

Originally posted by Programgirl:

Originally posted by billster:

Maybe if the hipsters with those bass bins start crapping themselves while driving :evil:

They sure are a fun bunch to talk though....

Me: "Nice ride."

Hipster: "Huh?"

Me: "NICE RIDE."

Hipster: "What did you say?"

Me: "NICE RIDE!!!"

Hipster: "I'm not crying!"

Me: "Oh, nevermind."

Hipster: "Five O'Clock."

Hey PROGRAM GURL! you fonny mon'! I bet you're a heap of fun on a saturday night!

Thanks for the Grins..

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Archived