Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Netflix: The Greatest Night in Pop

Hey all,

If you have Netflix, I highly recommend watching “The Greatest Night in Pop” which is a documentary about the making of “We are the World”. It appeals to non-musicians as well (my wife loved it).

Todd

• Like 1

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I definitely recommend it. Fascinating. Just to watch Stevie Wonder singing like Bob Dylan is worth the price of admission.

And I have a whole new respect for Lionel Richie. You'll see why.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KenElevenShadows said:

I definitely recommend it. Fascinating. Just to watch Stevie Wonder singing like Bob Dylan is worth the price of admission.

And I have a whole new respect for Lionel Richie. You'll see why.

Talk about songwriting pressure … I don’t want to spoil it for anyone, but that whole thing came together *quickly*.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

On 2/11/2024 at 10:22 AM, Sundown said:

Talk about songwriting pressure … I don’t want to spoil it for anyone, but that whole thing came together *quickly*.

Yeah. I kinda knew about the songwriting process already and how challenging it was, but this really explains it even further. Whole new appreciation. Amazing, amazing job.

I am cynical of Netflix documentaries and contemporary documentaries in general because they are formulaic, staged and lack the solidity of a true documentary. They are frequently promoting something other than the subject. The trailer has Huey Lewis describing how surprised he was seeing all the top people at that time gathered in the studio when he arrived. I recall watching an awards show where Lionel Ritchie got on stage at the end to introduce the plan and then he went into the audience asking individual artists to come join in. It was obvious what was going down. Just seemed like rearview mirror hyperbole for the documentary, like a staged soundbite.