Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Graphics cards=TDM

BionicFX Harnesses Power of Graphics Cards for Audio Processing

Programming uses GPU as Audio Effect Processor

September 2, 2004

BionicFX announced a technology for music production that turns NVIDIA video cards into audio effects processors. Audio Video Exchange (AVEX) converts digital audio into graphics data, and then performs effect calculations using the 3D architecture of the GPU. The latest video cards from NVIDIA are capable of more than 40 gigaflops of processing power compared to less than 6 gigaflops on Intel and AMD CPUs.

BionicReverb, the first effect to use AVEX, will debut at Winter NAMM Conference in January 2005. BionicReverb is an impulse response reverberation effect that runs as a plug-in inside VST compatible multi-track recording software. The audio effect is generated by combining an impulse response file with digital audio. Impulse response files are created by firing a starter pistol inside a location, such as Carnegie Hall, and recording the echoing sound waves. Combining the two files through mathematical convolution is a CPU intensive process that is reduced by moving expensive calculations onto the GPU.

AVEX works by transforming audio streams into the structure and colors of graphics data. The graphics data is processed on the video card by pixel or fragment shaders that run audio effect algorithms, which read and write to textures in video memory. The final calculations are retrieved from off-screen buffers and decoded into audio.

For more information, visit their web site at www.bionicfx.com .

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest I have been thinking about this for a few months....

I was not thinking about it in terms of DSP for audio , but for sisemic and radar data interpitaion (cause that data is deadly on CPU's) that are typically prosessed on 50+ computer clusters.

ALso since the GPU is optomised to dealing with 3-d data, it makes it paticulairly good spacial issue, .. so for things like 3-d mapping signal prosessing, and hydro graphic sonar, it would work great. you already see a huge speed increse on some data sets, with dual CPUS.

Kevin Nemrava

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Looks interesting... I wonder what it's going to sound like and when they'll have the public beta ready. Thanks for the link! :wave:

Hopefully they'll just use it to increase the speed of processing for plug ins at first. I'm sure the first generation plugs specifically written for this may not be the best.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived