Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music Theory Necrophilia

I don't get the point of archiving/locking older threads related to music theory.

They are not information that goes out of fashion like gear news.

For example, this question from @zephonic can be answered 20 years from now for all we care, and still retain its relevance to the viewers.

For what it's worth, here's my response:

Thanks for sharing this piece. I'm an Azymuth fan but have never heard that piece before.

To my crude ears, the first two chords are a rootless A13b9 and a DoM7 (diminished major seventh). "maj7b5" doesn't work here because a diminished 3 is present in both chords.

"A13b9", because I hear a V7-I progression, as evident in the attachment, once we give the 1st chord a root and finish the progression with a Dmaj7.

It can also be seen as a polychord: F#(upper)A9(lower). But that's just over-complication.

And the 2nd one can be seen as C#/D, if only for the ease of recognition.

It's interesting that you mentioned the 2nd chord's symbol on the 1st one. It points to the similar upper structure between the two chords, but the B and E in the 1st chord prevented it from being a GoM7.

I wonder if the locked status of old threads past a certain point might be related to the data migration from the old forum platform to the new. For a while, a lot of old content was completely inaccessible. I haven't checked lately, but maybe this was the tradeoff to make some of that old stuff accessible again.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There's a moderation option to unarchive it, but I got a warning saying it could not be archived in the future if unarchived. I'm not sure if it was archived for a reason but if not, it can be restored. I suspect it might be about a platform change, sometimes ssttr a  ng  e things happen.

• Like 1