Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic NUMA X GT - Is it supposed to do this or is it waiting for a future update?

Numa X GT at version 2.3.1

Very nice keyboard, loving it but having a little problem with external devices getting MIDI data when not wanted. 

1) Anyone else have a problem with not being able to stop transmitting all MIDI data? Always for me now, MIDI data goes out even when ZONEs are disabled. With MIDI Port set to MIDI USB and no enabled zones, the USB port outputs MIDI note and CC data and the MIDI DIN outputs CC data anytime a key or controller is touched. Similarly, if the MIDI port is set to MIDI DIN, the USB port still sends note and CC data and the MIDI DIN port always sends CC data, but not note data, even when no zones are enabled. I read the thread from March 2023 when CyberGene brought this up. I did not know, but understand now, that MIDI CC events will still go out when a ZONE is disabled, by design, but should it be sending notes too? Makes sense that CC data may still be useful even when the notes are disabled. But I have an issue now where MIDI notes and CC data go out the USB port and MIDI CC data goes out the MIDI DIN port, even when the zones are not enabled for MIDI. 

Maybe I need a full reset, but i thought I’d ask here first to see if others see the same thing. 

2) I also notice the sustain pedal puts out its “sample” sound when depressed even when no zones are enabled. It seems it should only come on when a matching piano program is enabled. I notice it when pedal 1 is set to Damper and no zones are enabled.

3) Really a wishlist item to me, but let me set the max and min pitch bend values. 

4) Wishlist (if I get two!) let me save the Velocity Curve setting with the programs. I like the way some pianos respond to different curve settings but the global setting always overrides. 

Maybe you’re using the “Common MIDI channel” setting? That’s in the main menu where this setting is either off, or a channel number is set. 

When off, the Numa will act as a 4-zone controller and only those zones that are MIDI-enabled will send data. Internal zones would receive data on the MIDI channel with the corresponding zone number. 

When not off, and set to a specified MIDI channel, the keyboard will send/receive keyboard events from the entire keyboard on that channel, regardless of the zones and their status. Also, when not off, you have additional settings on whether CC and program changes are off, sent, received or both.

BTW, I discovered a bug when in Common MIDI channel and local control is off. Sustain pedal would still be sent (not OK) but not received (OK). However, if I enable CC receive (or send/receive) and the DAW is looping back the MIDI, so that I can hear the Numa, the entire hell breaks loose and the sustain events get looped back and forth for a machine gun like effect. I’ve reported it to Gianni and he said they will look but I still haven’t got any answer. 

CyberGene! Thank-you! That is all it was, that Common Channel setting was on Channel 1. I turned it off and now all is well. That little setting cost me a couple hours of frustration, but lesson learned. Still getting accustomed to this keyboard's way of doing things. A slight learning curve, but the controls are well laid out. 

I haven't spent time using the Numa with a DAW yet, mostly Pianoteq app or direct to hardware synths. (I am currently obsessed with Pianoteq's Classical Guitar). Hopefully, a new firmware update will fix the bug you reported before I get around to seeing it! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...