Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Gadget 3

For those using gadget on iPad, it’s a free update to Gadget 3. Upgrades available for the Mac version.

Heres hoping it’s a sign that Module is also getting updated ahead of the Keystage launch. Would love to see the same plug in integration and ability to load other Korg apps to expand the library beyond those they release.

While I’m not a GarageBand user, the ability to load gadgets in is a welcome update.

IMG_0149.jpeg

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I just updated it and there are some nice and long awaited new features, especially the ability to load the Gadgets in other DAWs as AUv3, because honestly the sequencer in Gadget is not good. Also the new Gadgets are nice, especially the one with the time stretching capability which was missing until now.

And it looks like they will give the AUv3 treatment to some other apps like iM1 which I've been waiting for a long time.

So unlike what I said in another thread, it look likes finally Korg is listening to their users, even though they take their time to implement new features 😄

Of course this can be a bit frustrating for us as customers, but I'm nonetheless getting again some good feelings with my favourite brand 🙂

Unfortunately still no possibility to create custom chords like in Cubasis 3, but not such a big deal with possibility to use the Gadgets inside it.

• Like 1

Havent had chance to dive in yet but, as you say, it a promising sign that they are listening and also realising the potential 'power' of IOS apps on modern equipment (Module is still specced to run on an iPad Air). More musicians are using them as a sound source on stage so Module really needs an update. Aside from the pro expansion amany years ago, they just release additional sounds and many of them have been a bit 'niche'

Amazing that Module has all four Clav settings and a Yamaha YC/CP doesnt!!

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

16 minutes ago, jejefunkyman said:

What updates would you like to have on Module? For me it is fine as it is, but I'm not using it on stage so maybe I'm missing something 🙂

More control over splits and layers, better control features, responding to aftertouch, abiity to integrate other engines/apps, even if they are just the Korg ones (like gadget does), more editing of the synths...I could go on.

Gadget automatically adds new Korg apps, but I prefer Module for the live sets. Would also like to see a proper Trinity/Triton app for IOS rather than just a bunch of sampled sounds in Module. 

Considering the modern iPad is way more powerful than the heart of the Kronos (M2 in the latest pro is simialr power to a flaship macbook pro), I wonder why they cant have at least some of those Kronos engines in IOS form.

The release of Logic Pro on iPad will hopefully be a sign or more powerful apps in the future and lets be honest, Module has hardly developed from the low cost bread and butter preset sound module it was on release, despite advances in tech.

2 minutes ago, jejefunkyman said:

So you would basically like to have an augmented Kronos on an iPad 😉 Of course this would be for sure amazing 😄

Well, I did list a bunch of updates Module could do with but, hell, why not.

The Kronos runs on an Intel Atom D510 which is pretty much ancient compared to the latest Apple Silicon. It had 60gb of storage which was more than enough yet still less than the smallest capacity iPad you can buy.

If Logic Pro can run on it, pretty sure 13 year old tech can....and lets not forget that the Kronos is discontinued, and Korg like to ressurect their old boards in IOS/Mac form. The obvious limitations of I/O, controls, keys etc. would still make the Nautilus a relevant product, but imagine a Kronos on your iPad. The discrete engines have already been used in the Grandstage and Vox Contintental so...

Logic on IOS was little more than fantasy a few years ago....gotta dream.

• Like 1

Kronos on an iPad was a healthy and viable discussion 5 years ago: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30411/is-most-of-the-korg-kronos-ported-to-ios-now

Take the two piano engines and make them apps (the pianos in Module are basic versions of this), the PCM sound engine is essentially there, add in the MS-20, MOD7 and Polysix (already apps) that just leaves a long needed CX-3 app (with drawbars assignable to a controller) and the STR-1. 

Essentially, the iPad is a modern version of the Kronos approach so its quite feasible. 

Back to original point, I would be happy if Module allowed integration of new engines like gadget does.

Comparing to boards, Gadget is a workstation, Module is a stage keyboard. I just want the sounds without the sequencing etc.

Yes of course this is more than feasible with the current technology. It's just probably not in Korg's product strategy currently but who knows. We are pretty close to it though with what is already available in Module and Gadget. Just the integration was not thought out to offer an equivalent to a Kronos sound module on the ipad.

Module could play this role but as you said it should be further developed to integrate additional sound engines and control capabilities.

• Like 1

An minor update was just released which fixes a bunch of identified bugs from the previous version, especially the ability to preview user samples in the new Sydney Gadget.

This makes the app really amazing, definitely boosting my creativity and productivity, as one can have such a powerful music app in an iphone to create music on the fly!!!

I say just whoooaaa (and I don't get so enthusiastic so often lol). But this time I say bravo to Korg 🙏

Now I'm just waiting for the AUv3 implementation on iM1 as I'm heavily using certain of its patches, and I'll be a really happy music producer; ready to craft new music wherever I feel like doing it 🙂