Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio PX5S "No Media" Issue Question.....

HI, all - 

I posted the below question on the Facebook PX5S Group's page last night.  Unfortunately, many of the respondents didn't really answer the question; many digressed into telling about their personal experiences, which were interesting, but not really what I was looking for.  So, I thought I'd try asking here:

Question: Are any other Privia models - or any Casio models, for that matter - subject to the "No Media" error message bug, or is that issue exclusive to the PX5S? Yeah, I carry a thumb drive with the OS on it, and have a 100% success rate with re-booting after inserting the thumb drive. But the 15 minute re-boot time is unacceptable in many situations, and I'm always nervous bringing the keyboard to a gig. Let me know what your experience has been/what you know about this issue. Thanks!

Ultimately, I'm strongly considering buying a new lightweight 88-key weighted keyboard THAT WILL WORK RELIABLY.  The PX5S makes me nervous, my Kurzweil SP6's main board died (and it's shockingly expensive to replace), etc.  I'm considering all of the sub-30 pound candidates (I live in Manhattan), both those with extensive features and sound sets, and those with limited sounds that will essentially function as an ersatz piano when I'm doing piano-centric gigs in venues that don't have pianos.  I'm very familiar with what's out there, but suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!

Casio has never explained what the problem was or how they resolved it.  It was resolved, in its mind, by the software driven fix, and did not feel the need to tell us what went wrong and why.  The PR campaign which followed was to explain it away as a nothing problem and that we should not worry.   As you have explained and I have felt, relying on the fix still left uncertainty.   I have played and used the PX-560 and have never had a problem with "no mediia."  I have played and owned various other Casio boards and again have never experienced the "no media" problem.  I happen to like Casio boards and they have performed well for me.  Casio's manner of resolution regarding the PX-5S left me with a sour taste in my mouth.   The problem, based solely on my experience of owning and playing about six Casio boards, is that it is limited to the PX-5S.  It may be further limited to a limited number of PX-5S boards.  It was never clear how widespread the problem was and what they did to contain the problem.  If Casio ever fessed up and told us what went wrong and why it would never happen again, it wouldn't be having these discussions on this board at this late date.  The PX-5S is still a very good board, even with its  ridiculous OS.  (It is a better pro board than the PX-560 IMHO).  Casio should have combined the best of the PX-560  and the PX-5S in the guise of a new board and it would have had a lot of takers, deflecting away from the "no media" problem.    Instead, it did nothing for over a decade.  It then went into the business of selling small and light keyboards designed for the living room in your home or non-professional use.  Everything it did was a business decision--right or wrong.  I recently bought one of their small and light weight boards, i.e., the CTS-500, and brought it to a impromptu jam at a family gathering and had a ball.  It weighed about 5 pounds and could be picked up easily with one hand.  Its action for piano was pretty good for a small lightweight board.   No, the PXS-7000 is not a replacement for the PX-5S.  Casio knows that.  As for me, i have moved on from Casio for now with the exception of the CTS-500 and am looking forward to NAMM.  I am hoping that there will be some interesting new boards out there, including, from Casio. In summary, I personally don't think you have to worry about the "no media" problem from Casio at this point based on my personal experience.    

• Like 1

I have never heard of the No Media problem ever occurring with any other Casio model. If it was a problem with another model, there would have been similar “solution” posts for it around and there aren’t. 

P.S. Do you know about casiomusicforums.com? It’s a good place for Casio owners to talk about their gear. 

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Clearly I need to set the record straight about a few things. First, I've never this this occur on any other Casio model.

The first time I recall seeing this issue was during the 1.12 firmware. As 1.13 was addressed released shortly after, I simply asked customers to make sure they had the latest update installed as the logical path with something like this arises. It was a surprise to me when some users reported this after the 1.13 firmware update so that is when I personally started trying to get to the source of the issue.

15 hours ago, SonicKeysII said:

The PR campaign which followed was to explain it away as a nothing problem and that we should not worry. 

There was never any kind of PR campaign. I have been the only Casio employee ever publicly addressed this and I've simply done my best find a solution. In all of these years, I have personally only encountered the bug one time and have never been able to come up with any way to duplicate the issue. We (Casio America Service department) have taken the opportunity to return / replace units thoroughly check them and try to find the issue and replicate the bug without success.

I went as far as to do a user survey to try to find out how wide-spread the issue is, track serial numbers and come up with other common situations when this has occurred. Globally I think there were less than 50 reports and for the majority of those, the problem never reoccured. @Rodan88 if this is in fact reoccurring on yours, please send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

My only guess after all of this is that it is somehow tied to the flash memory or something more random such as static electricity. In many of the cases it was when the keyboard had not been used for an extended period of time.

15 hours ago, SonicKeysII said:

If Casio ever fessed up

I've been completely transparent about everything written above in this thread on both the PX-5S Facebook group and CasioMusicForums.com as I am here.

So while I don't like it, the solution is simple. Keep the latest firmware on a USB drive. If the problem were to occur, it would take about 9 minutes - barely longer than it takes some high end workstations to boot. The chances of it happening seem to be quite rare. 

• Like 6

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

36 minutes ago, Mike Martin said:

Clearly I need to set the record straight about a few things. First, I've never this this occur on any other Casio model.

The first time I recall seeing this issue was during the 1.12 firmware. As 1.13 was addressed released shortly after, I simply asked customers to make sure they had the latest update installed as the logical path with something like this arises. It was a surprise to me when some users reported this after the 1.13 firmware update so that is when I personally started trying to get to the source of the issue.

There was never any kind of PR campaign. I have been the only Casio employee ever publicly addressed this and I've simply done my best find a solution. In all of these years, I have personally only encountered the bug one time and have never been able to come up with any way to duplicate the issue. We (Casio America Service department) have taken the opportunity to return / replace units thoroughly check them and try to find the issue and replicate the bug without success.

I went as far as to do a user survey to try to find out how wide-spread the issue is, track serial numbers and come up with other common situations when this has occurred. Globally I think there were less than 50 reports and for the majority of those, the problem never reoccured. @Rodan88 if this is in fact reoccurring on yours, please send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

My only guess after all of this is that it is somehow tied to the flash memory or something more random such as static electricity. In many of the cases it was when the keyboard had not been used for an extended period of time.

I've been completely transparent about everything written above in this thread on both the PX-5S Facebook group and CasioMusicForums.com as I am here.

So while I don't like it, the solution is simple. Keep the latest firmware on a USB drive. If the problem were to occur, it would take about 9 minutes - barely longer than it takes some high end workstations to boot. The chances of it happening seem to be quite rare. 

Thanks Mike! I just bought a PX5S yesterday, this is reassuring to read.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Mike Martin!

THANK YOU for your speedy, comprehensive, informative and transparent reply - MUCH appreciated.

It's good to know that no other Casio models have been affected by the "No Media" bug, so I won't hesitate to purchase another Casio  should I decide to go in that direction.

I may get in touch with you after the holidays to discuss my PX5S, as I have experienced the issue several times. 

Again, many thanks, and Happy Everything! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The firmware is here, Muse: https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=435

If you keep it on a USB stick inside your PX all of the time, the problem cannot happen again.  I have one of those tiny fingernail sized ones in mine (along with all of my stage settings etc.) It never leaves my PX, no matter where I take it.

• Like 2
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone