Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NUMA X PIANO WEIRD USB MIDI FEEDBACK LOOP

I have a Studiologic NUMA X PIANO and I am trying to use it with Camelot Pro but I am having real problems with what appears to be a MIDI feedback loop whenever I touch the sustain pedal, modwheel etc. I have local control off and if I just play the keyboard it works fine but everything goes crazy as soon as I press the pedal. I also tried using this with Logic Pro for iPad and had exactly the same problem. Does anyone have a similar setup who can offer any advice please? I have latest OS in Piano 2.20 I think?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, earmanuk said:

I have a Studiologic NUMA X PIANO and I am trying to use it with Camelot Pro but I am having real problems with what appears to be a MIDI feedback loop whenever I touch the sustain pedal, modwheel etc. I have local control off and if I just play the keyboard it works fine but everything goes crazy as soon as I press the pedal. I also tried using this with Logic Pro for iPad and had exactly the same problem. Does anyone have a similar setup who can offer any advice please? I have latest OS in Piano 2.20 I think?

I had a similar issue when I had a Numa X, but updating to what was then the latest OS (2.0?) fixed it for me. Have you tried local control on but deactivating any zone that's not the software?

are you using usb audio in? if so, make sure the usb audio gain is set correctly. what happens if you switch off usb audio in (just press the knob)? or maybe try a better usb cable.

I have no issues with my numa x piano. It’s quiet like a mouse and I find it much easier to use with my daw than my yc61.  

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Yes, I am using usb audio. All external AUV3 plugins on the iPad work perfectly it is when I try to play an internal sound on the Numa X that the problem appears. It seems that Local Off prevents note info from reaching internal engine but CC info (Sustain, Pitch bend etc) is going to internal engine as well as being sent over usb midi causing the loop. I’ve a support request in with Studiologic and Camelot so hopefully will find a solution. Many thanks 

I see this in the manual:

Control an external device

External MIDI devices can be controlled in 2 ways:

• COMMON CHANNEL

Select a value from 1 to 16 in Global Settings. This option sends only a single stream of MIDI messages and it’s the easiest way to play with a DAW on a single channel. In Global Settings you can choose to transmit only notes or all messages including control changes and program changes.

• MULTI CHANNEL

Assign a Zone to external MIDI. Each Program has 4 Zones that can be used to play internal sounds or to control external devices. Press MIDI button to convert the current Zone into a MIDI Zone.

You may want to try switching from one to the other. I think that's configurable in the menu. I'm not sure about the exact differences but to me it seems it can also be put this way: the "common channel" is when the Numa will act like a dumb keyboard sending all MIDI data on a single channel and it's your DAW or external device(s) that should do the MIDI zoning, note regions, etc. And the "multi-channel" is where the Numa acts like a 4-zone master controller where each of the 4 zones can either be internal or external. I believe it's the latter that you should use but you should make sure the external devices are listening on the corresponding MIDI channel. And you should also make sure that you configure whether internal and external zones on your Numa send/receive pedals and other CC-s.