Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trusting a moving company with guitars and amps.

cayine

Hello all.

We are moving from Wisconsin to Florida in 2 weeks. I had originally planned to cram 10 guitars into my Sebring convertible and let the movers transport my amps (2 solid-state, one BIG tube amp). Now I'm having second thoughts.

I considered renting a trailer, but it's expensive because I'll need to have a permanent hitch installed. I have thought about letting the movers take the guitars that have hard cases (I'll put them in boxes) except my Martin, and putting the gig bags in the car. That would mean only 5 guitars in the car, which is manageable.

For the amps, I'll have them boxed, and I'm guessing that I need to remove the tubes from the Music Man. Is there anything else that I need to do?

If anyone has experience with letting movers move their gear, I'd like to hear about it.

Just now, cayine said:

Hello all.

We are moving from Wisconsin to Florida in 2 weeks. I had originally planned to cram 10 guitars into my Sebring convertible and let the movers transport my amps (2 solid-state, one BIG tube amp). Now I'm having second thoughts.

I considered renting a trailer, but it's expensive because I'll need to have a permanent hitch installed. I have thought about letting the movers take the guitars that have hard cases (I'll put them in boxes) except my Martin, and putting the gig bags in the car. That would mean only 5 guitars in the car, which is manageable.

For the amps, I'll have them boxed, and I'm guessing that I need to remove the tubes from the Music Man. Is there anything else that I need to do?

If anyone has experience with letting movers move their gear with villa movers in abu dhabi, I'd like to hear about it.

thanks in advance for any help

• Like 1

I would equate this to moving a pallet of cash.   Yes it will probably make it, but this type of item is why they employ security guards at the entrance to music stores.  

Reputable movers offer insurance if your amp/guitar goes missing but I wouldn’t risk it unless you can box the items such that no one knows the contents — but you still need to declare them as moving inventory, so even there you’re exposed. 

I’d move them with you, all tolled.  

• Like 3

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

That is too much to put at risk, moving companies in general don't have the best reputations. 

Shop around a bit, consider renting an SUV, see what the cost is. Much safer to drive than hauling a trailer, although less convenient since you'll need to return for your vehicle.

That's a long haul in one go, do you have a backup driver?

The other question is - are there any items you can sell and eventually replace if you find you really need them?

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I think I would rent a small U-haul tuck and load your guitars and amps along with anyother fragile keepsakes.  They have small car moving trailers that fit on the back of the U-haul lifting your front wheels, so you could tow you car behind if it's not too big.  Just a thought...good luck with the move! 😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

8 minutes ago, Larryz said:

I think I would rent a small U-haul tuck and load your guitars and amps along with anyother fragile keepsakes.  They have small car moving trailers that fit on the back of the U-haul lifting your front wheels, so you could tow you car behind if it's not too big.  Just a thought...good luck with the move! 😎

Solid idea, Larryz. I didn't think of it but I did help a friend move that way. One trip, done. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but here is an idea you can think about.  A friend of mine used to work for U Haul some years back, selling their used trucks.  He sold quite a few by explaining to customers that they could buy a used truck, load it up, drive it to wherever they were moving to, and then once they were moved in, sell the truck for close to what they bought it for.  Something to think about if you have the extra bucks available.

• Like 3
I rock; therefore, I am.

Well, for me, I would load my Jeff Beck Strat and my nice Taylor into the back seat and put the MesaBoogie in the trunk. The Jeff Beck Strat is not my most expensive guitar, but it is my favorite. To everything else I would say "see you in Florida." 

• Like 3

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Larryz makes a lot of sense. If I were you, my priority would be to avoid movers at all costs. Get a really good padlock for the truck, and wherever you stay overnight, scope out which ground floor rooms have a parking spot right next to your door. Ask for one of those rooms, and back the truck into its parking place. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Moving with guitars and amps can be a bit tricky, but your plan sounds solid. For the guitars, having the movers take those in hard cases is a good call, and packing the gig bags in the car for added protection is a smart move. When it comes to amps, boxing them up is key for safety, and you're spot on about removing the tubes from the Music Man to prevent damage during transit.

If you're still exploring options, you might want to check out threemovers.com/cheap-moving-companies/orlando-fl-2/. They have a good reputation for handling delicate items and ensuring a smooth moving process.

• Like 2