Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A question for Logic Pro X wizards ... (routing MIDI to Audio FX)

I recently acquired MFM2 from U-He and in learning how to integrate it, I ran into this problem. To cut to the chase, how do you route Midi Note information to Audio FX in Logic Pro X?

MFM (and Filterscape and some Reaktor ensembles and others) will accept Midi note information to trigger automation. For example, in MFM you can see that there is an MSEG envelope which is waiting for a note-on signal (a gate) to begin its journey. 👇

image.thumb.png.d954769f08bc9e4b83295c62b854abb1.png

Additionally MFM can deliver pitched effects such as sideband (freqshift) and granular (grain transpose), if only Logic delivered Midi note # to it. 👇

image.thumb.png.e6ccc31fd785d66783196b541a4c4e80.png

The problem is, in normal usage, Logic doesn't send note-on information to Audio FX, only Instruments. So running down the channel strip below, Pianoteq 8 will be sent a note-on but unfortunately MFM2 won't. 👇

image.thumb.png.708506f88311d4a880ca0cd7bc66d15c.png

Sure, I can use Logic's LFO's and Envelopes (inside the Modulator MIDI FX) instead of MFM's LFO's and Envelopes. It would work for some purposes. However the pitched effects like sideband and granular would still be out of reach without note data to trigger and control them. There are similar use-cases with the other effect plugins I have mentioned.

So my question to the Logic Pro X wizards out there is ... does Logic provide a method for routing Midi note information to Audio FX?

Grateful thanks in advance.

I'm apparently not a wizard (ok, I knew that already) but it got me curious.   This is not something I've ever tried to do.

This guy is doing something that sounds pretty similar with another plugin.  I haven't watched the whole thing, it sounds like he has several ways (I watched the first one where he uses something I'd never even heard of, "Scripter" inside Logic).

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

I'm apparently not a wizard (ok, I knew that already) but it got me curious.

Au contraire you are a Wizard. Wizard enough to connect me with the wizard who had the answer. Which makes you a wizard of wizards of course. 😀

His second technique is what is working for me. It not only allows the typical parameter control but all the note-ons as well:

1) Create an additional new track.

2) Introduce the Effect you want MIDI control of in the instrument section of the new track. (Look for AU midi-controlled Effects in the drop down box.)

3) Route audio to the effect.

🏆