Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No wonder it's so easy these days - NI S88 MK III...

miden

Check out at 38.01 :sigh:

PS: sorry I couldn't just do the exact section, don't know how to chop the vid so only that section shows..st

• Haha 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

yet... they still can't put on 9 drawsliders, and have very minimal control surfaces. PASS. You can generally tell when 90% of their market is for basement trolls and not live performers. I actually like Native Instruments software, but their hardware always seemed very tailored AWAY from my interests.

• Like 2

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

5 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

yet... they still can't put on 9 drawsliders, and have very minimal control surfaces. PASS. You can generally tell when 90% of their market is for basement trolls and not live performers. I actually like Native Instruments software, but their hardware always seemed very tailored AWAY from my interests.

yeah, I know right!  But really, setting a keyboard to automatically play a scale type no matter what keys you play??  Wasn't so much about the lack of controls, more about THAT section :waitwhat:

• Confused 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

8 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

You can generally tell when 90% of their market is for basement trolls and not live performers

All of that stuff is so frustratingly plastic and flimsy. Exactly for non-performers......spot on.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

I’ve played the NI Komplete Kontrol 61 - the one they were blowing out last season before the new models arrived.  The semi-weight synth action is decent by today’s lousy standards.  It feels sort of like a DX7.  I can think of a lot of controllers that are built with lesser materials than the Komplete Kontrol.  

38:01 - technology historically does a great job of making what was once a lot of work, less work.  The washing machine, the gas oven, a shovel.  Arrangers, loops, scales mode, arms, etc. are like musical appliances.  Reducing or eliminating musical work.  

It reminds me of John Henry vs the Steam Engine.  Do we loose something when technology eliminates or changes tasks and jobs?  We do, but we gain other things.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

4 hours ago, EricBarker said:

this is (mostly) correct.  These are studio keyboards. Everyone does not do gigs. Doesn't make them a troll. Poor choice of wording. :facepalm:

:nopity:

2 hours ago, Doerfler said:

this is (mostly) correct.  These are studio keyboards. Everyone does not do gigs. Doesn't make them a troll. Poor choice of wording. :facepalm:

Sometimes the tricky part is just imagining who a product is for.

Manufactures are constantly putting out targeted types of keyboards that one or another type of music maker looks at as  ridiculous, useless.  

Most keyboard players would wonder why anyone needs a scale mode or auto generator of any aspect of music making? Isn’t that what we are for?  Our own minds and our own hands. 🤷‍♂️ 

What AI is doing with image creation and writing is painful for visual artists and writers to see.  As surreal and bizarre as AI generated music is to us.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

14 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It reminds me of John Henry vs the Steam Engine.  Do we loose something when technology eliminates or changes tasks and jobs?  We do, but we gain other things.  

When the "tasks and jobs" are art, we lose a lot more than when when technology replaces drudgery. I don't consider hauling a carriage, or washing clothes by hand, or map-reading, to be art, so I am not concerned about technology's advance in these areas. 

7 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Most keyboard players would wonder why anyone needs a scale mode or auto generator of any aspect of music making? Isn’t that what we are for?  Our own minds and our own hands.

+1

Cheers, Mike.