Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The hybrid finger stylings of Matteo Mancuso

ElmerJFudd

Outstanding. Great picking technique, and navigation of the fretboard. I like how some notes almost sound like quick little 'swells', with a rounded attack and e 'yelping' envelope character- I'm not sure if it's his picking technique, that plus his fretting-hand 'touch', or if he's even deftly using a volume-pedal or his guitar's volume-knob (I doubt the last two, though I'll have to watch as well as listen more closely later on when I can). I should try to play some of his lines, it'd improve my own lead-playing for sure!  Big, fat, wide singing vibrato, too!

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

1 hour ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Outstanding. Great picking technique, and navigation of the fretboard. I like how some notes almost sound like quick little 'swells', with a rounded attack and e 'yelping' envelope character- I'm not sure if it's his picking technique, that plus his fretting-hand 'touch', or if he's even deftly using a volume-pedal or his guitar's volume-knob (I doubt the last two, though I'll have to watch as well as listen more closely later on when I can). I should try to play some of his lines, it'd improve my own lead-playing for sure!  Big, fat, wide singing vibrato, too!

Yes.  The nicest thing about fingers as opposed to pick is the wide variety of timbre from nail, skin, pluck type and velocity, and which finger or thumb.  He seems to like a tone similar to Eric Johnson.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

9 minutes ago, Larryz said:

"Hybrid finger style" is what I and many others refer to as using a pick and up to 3 fingers. I would think of Mancuso's style (sans pick) as very cool finger style. Just a thought...😎

Ah yes I can see that.  I was just thinking that it’s not exactly classical finger style and he changes on the fly for what he’s attempting to do. 

• Like 2

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

9 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Yes.  The nicest thing about fingers as opposed to pick is the wide variety of timbre from nail, skin, pluck type and velocity, and which finger or thumb.  He seems to like a tone similar to Eric Johnson.  

That's where I live. I have been playing without a pick or fingerpicks for 33 years or more, it's just what I prefer.

eqZJw5s.jpg

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

9 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Tone reminds me of Steve Morse as well.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...