Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Software Providers: Never rename a plug-in …

It’s great that companies continue to develop products and in some cases (especially with effects plug-ins) you can get a higher version for free, just for being a loyal user and for buying the original product.

But man oh man, I hate when those updates rename the plugin … I won’t call anyone out by name, but a few plugin manufacturers have changed names with version updates and that really screws up a prior session (especially if the version bump overwrites the old plugin).

I just updated an EQ plugin and I didn’t notice that the name had changed ever so slightly. I opened up an older session, and sure enough, any reference to the old plugin are lost (along with the settings).

Now, no one forced me to do the update but let’s face it, if a new version with new capabilities comes along and it’s free, most people are going to jump. And as a plugin manufacturer all you have to do is name your products with a version-agnostic title.

I need to remix this particular session anyway so I’m not going to cry over spilt milk, but it really is an easily avoidable problem. Choose a plugin name that doesn’t include the version number, and don’t change it … Ever.

Todd

• Like 1

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

10 minutes ago, bill5 said:

In some cases you may be able to simply rename the DLL file.

That may be true with some, Bill. I’ll give it a shot with this one.

👍

Todd

• Like 1

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase