Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bands using backing tracks (esp. keys) for live gigs on a laptop.........thoughts?

BTW, I totally get the criticism that backing tracks railroad performances, and there is no flexibility for creative interpretation anymore. I agree. 

But this is true the moment you have a large-ish production where lighting/pyro/video cues are dependent on click tracks, even if the performance is 100% live. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

5 hours ago, analogika said:

BTW, I totally get the criticism that backing tracks railroad performances, and there is no flexibility for creative interpretation anymore.

Maybe it's hard for us to acknowledge that there's a lot of music being produced where "creative interpretation" is actively unwanted. It's show business, folks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, analogika said:

BTW, I totally get the criticism that backing tracks railroad performances, and there is no flexibility for creative interpretation anymore. I agree. 

But this is true the moment you have a large-ish production where lighting/pyro/video cues are dependent on click tracks, even if the performance is 100% live. 

This a great argument for stripped-back shows without lighting/pyro/video cues, which let you focus on the music. I've enjoyed:

- Mark Knopfler at the Albert Hall (the "production" consisted of turning on some bluish lights on the string quartet, when they were featured)

- Steely Dan at Wembley Arena

- Suzanne Vega at the Barbican

- AWB at Ronnie Scott's

None of which needed any click-dependent production, and are all the better for it.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

That’s great, but hardly an exclusive list of great shows. 

I’ve seen shows that were done without click that I found tedious and boring, and shows that were completely on click that were awesome. (Though, admittedly, fewer of those.) 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On 11/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, kpl1228 said:

I've seen too many '80's -themed local bar bands play British 80's synth pop hits without any keyboard player, yet with keyboards pouring out of the PA, to take it sitting down any longer

Hahah! Well, you certainly wouldn't be the first (nor blamed. It does look pretty ridiculous). 
Might be best to trust yer gut here. You know when something feels wrong.

On 11/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, kpl1228 said:

I've seen too many '80's -themed local bar bands play British 80's synth pop hits without any keyboard player, yet with keyboards pouring out of the PA, to take it sitting down any longer, but I'm older etc etc etc.

Personally I'd rather see a band especially a bar band just play the tune with the instrumentation they have, no keyboard so rework the song so the key hooks are still being played or sung, be creative.   Bands don't need to sound like Xerox copy of a record, people want to hear the song, its beat, and lyrics.  The only person saying they were missing the keyboard part is another keyboard player.     Think like a arranger or MD, the instrumentation for this gig is X so how will I make it work, time to be creative.   

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Docbop said:

Personally I'd rather see a band especially a bar band just play the tune with the instrumentation they have, no keyboard so rework the song so the key hooks are still being played or sung, be creative.   Bands don't need to sound like Xerox copy of a record, people want to hear the song, its beat, and lyrics.  The only person saying they were missing the keyboard part is another keyboard player.     Think like a arranger or MD, the instrumentation for this gig is X so how will I make it work, time to be creative.   

Agreed. I saw a band doing 90s RnB covers with g/bs/dr lineup - no tracks. The first song was pretty cool: Jermaine Stewart "We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off", which worked really well as a sort of new wave/post-punk cover. The problem is that this lineup tends to suffer from limited sonic variation - so all the songs ended up sounding similar. 

Would I have preferred that they add tracks? No probably not. 

Cheers, Mike.