Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best, better, and good echo/delay guitar stomp boxes

I'd like to know what people thing are the best guitar effects for echo/delay. I guess they could be in a rack mount package but there seem to be tons of stomp boxes too.

Do any of them really emulate an echoplex? What do the pro's use. What's good for the money and what do you believe is the best?

So please chime in with all you know about echo/delay. Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are plenty of pedal and rack delays, many of them low-cost and most of them good.

If you want to emulate an Echoplex, the main thing to realize is that its sound got slightly darker (less high end) with each repeat. Several delay tools offer the ability to have the EQ adjust itself over the time span of the delay. So, yes, you can emulate an Echoplex very easily.

If I were buying a delay pedal, my main considerations would be:

- Is it sturdy?

- Is it quiet (in use and in the signal chain)?

- Is it malleable enough in delay time and feedback?

- Will it run on both AC and battery power?

If the answer was yes to all of the above, I'd find the lowest-priced one and get it.

- Jeff

The Line6 Delay is very close in a live situation.

If you are looking for more versatility, I've been blown away by the Roland RC-20XL.

And the Boss delay stompers...the white ones with sky blue lettering, have a character all their own that is quite musical.

"For instance" is not proof.

The Line6 DL4 or Echo Pro (rack model) are pretty nice. So is the ElecroHarmonix Memory Man, tho it is a different thing from an echoplex. If you really want an echoplex sound, Fulltone is making a new model that I have heard very good things about - just be prepared to spend $$$$.

drfuzz

"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

I love my ElectroHarmonix Deluxe Memory Man. It has a really great analog sound to it. If you want the ultimate in "sound on sound" features try a Boomerang Phrase Sampler.

Those two units combined can do a lot more, and sound better, than an Echoplex, or any emulation of it.

The Zoom 508 pedal does a lot of what you're lookin' for:

1. Fully programmable with 24 memory slots

2. A number of delay types, some stereo

3. A programmable parameter for hi-end rolloff on repeats (tape-echo simulation)

4. Input for tap-tempo setting using an external pedal (I use a Radio Shack dictaphone pedal, <$10)

5. Functions as a chromatic tuner in bypass mode

And it was about $70 new.

While they don't appear particularly sturdy, mine still works fine after more than six years of living on my pedalboard, seeing use several times weekly on floors covered with bar-spooge.

Unfortunately, I think they are now made of unobtainium. Cruise Ebay and pawn shops.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by TeleCarlos:

I like my Akai headrush.

I own but haven't used in a long while my Zoom 508. Too many buttons I guess...

Hmm, you woudn't be interested in partin' with it, wouldja?

PM me if so . . . ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Johnny B:

So do any of these units have the "sound on sound" feature like a vintage echoplex?

The Danelectro Reel Echo does. I've played with one a bit - a buddy of mine has one, and it was pretty darn cool for a "tapeless" tape type delay. I'm considering getting one myself. :)

Archived