Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Numa X Piano 73 vs Yamaha CP73: Need Advice

RDM

Numa X Piano 73 vs Yamaha CP73

I need advice: I sold my Nord Stage EX 76 (for a good sum) last week and I am missing its action, love it.  Before selling that, I purchased a 2nd hand Nord Stage 2 EX Compact due to its size and weight. Handy to use and bring to church. thus need 73keys portability.

I thought the action would grow on me but I am more into worship piano and pads which are more expressive in a more weighted. I have used the Roland RD800 before and that action was too heavy for me (don't like the too weighted though, I'm not a pianist - just know play by ear).

Now, with the money I got from the stage EX, I am thinking of purchasing a brand new Numa X Piano 73 or a 2nd hand Yamaha CP73 (a guy trying to sell this to me 75% off just 1 year old with flight case). Can you guide me on this? (Never tried a Numa Piano action, tried a Numa compact though and likely the same as the Stage 2ex compact). Sorry for my grammar and Thanks in advance.

Timwat's comment really helped me with the CP73 but not sure comparing it with Numa Piano 73 action. and overall capability of the CP73 compare to the Numa X 73. 

Thanks. Greetings from Ireland.

----------------

Nord Stage EX 76, Roland RD800, Roland RD300NX, Nord Stage 2EX Compact, Yamaha CP73

I have owned a Yamaha YC73 (then a CP88, both sold) and now own a Numa X Piano 73.

Now, regarding actions, the one in YC/CP 73 is of lower quality than the CP88 but that’s not the question. It’s an OK action, however it’s also not their best action and many people don’t like it, kind of springy and clanking, plasticky.

Compared to it the TP-110 action in the Numa X Piano is IMO better, has a bit of firmer and more solid feeling, somehow in between the CP73 and the CP88.

As to other features, they are very similar. I think the Yamaha acoustic and electric piano sounds are slightly better although not by much. The electric pianos on the Numa are modeled and I like them a lot, very tweakable. I think to a certain degree they feel better than the ones on the CP. The Yamaha ones are among the best sampled electric pianos in a keyboard, however if you are picky enough you’d hear the velocity switching. With the modeled electric pianos on the Numa you have a much more fluid response. The acoustic pianos on the Numa are a mixed bag, there are good ones, there are not so good ones but they are all varied. There are some optional samples that you can download and I love one of a Japanese piano (apparently a Yamaha). The rest of the sounds are comparable to the CP and I think each has some sounds that are slightly better than the other. As to features, they are also similar, they both have USB audio interface, both have audio input, however on the Numa you have 4 mono audio inputs (can be used as different combinations of mono/stereo) and you can apply effects to the audio, whereas on the Yamaha you can’t. Also, the MIDI implementation of the Numa is IMO better than the one on the CP. On the Numa you can easily treat an external MIDI zone as an internal. The Yamaha has more direct control over everything whereas the Numa has a different interface which some people also love but it’s not as direct as on the Yamaha. I also think the build quality of the Yamaha is generally better than Studiologic which have their problems from time to time.

P.S. Even after all the firmware updates on the Numa, I think it has a bit weird response when played pianissimo with acoustic piano patches. I have analyzed it a lot and I believe the actual issue is not related to the keyboard touch response, which is basically great, but to the piano engine. I think they use some mix of modeling and sampling and I hear that even when played pianissimo, the sound comes out as just a quieter mp sample. I’m not really sure what they do and how their engine works but as a hardcore acoustic pianist I find it disappointing for demanding solo piano such as e.g. classical music which is my main interest. However I use the Numa in an amateur pop/rock band and I have zero problems with that little issue. But I think it’s important to note, since if I have to choose one of the two keyboards for serious solo piano music, I’d take the Yamaha.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Probably best to search through some of the Numa X threads as there are a lot dealing with the action and in particular comparisons with the CP73. I had the Numa 73, loved the form factor but didn’t like the action enough to keep it. I went with the CP73 as I’ve previously had a lot of Yamahas so was used to them albeit the cp had a newer action at the time. The CP was also closer to my favourite action (S90/Motif ES8 etc). 

My initial feeling with the Numa (I had it for about 10 days) was it bottomed out too quickly for my liking. I tired it with the presets, with software synths, midi up to my Modx7 and it was grand but I still couldn’t gel with it. I wasn’t prepared to compromise that much as I would have used it for all my gigs. And like the Modx8 action I thought I would suck it up and it would eventually bed in, but no, just didn’t work for me. 

That being said the Numa has had several updates over the last year or more that deal with keybed sensitivity so you can adjust it far more then when I had it. I’d be open to trying the Numa again with these updates. 

I’ve only played the Nord stage 2 88, an earlier version and it was ok and wouldn’t never pay Nord money for that kind of action, but that’s pretty old now so I’m sure the newer Nords have a better action. Search the Numa thread as there are a lot of happy campers out there. 

• Thanks 1
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I just added a P.S. to my post above to comment on the “issue” with the acoustic piano patches playability and touch (which I believe after a few firmware updates is still there, but is not an issue with the touch response and rather with their piano engine).

Thanks @CyberGene and @Dockeys for your inputs.

and I am kind of considering which is also the better bottom board for a Nord Stage 2EX Compact. so I will use this in piano, e piano, etc on this bottom board and probably some external sounds from the Stage 2EX which I can get from its sample library. But mostly to use as a standalone keyboard if possible.

----------------

Nord Stage EX 76, Roland RD800, Roland RD300NX, Nord Stage 2EX Compact, Yamaha CP73

Parenthetical comment: I have a Nord Stage 2 - not EX - Compact upstairs, and a Stage Classic - not EX - 76HA downstairs. I bought the Classic after the 2 - at the time it was virtually the only choice for a moderate-weight 76 hammer that wasn't TP100. 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

Numa73  and Nord owner here.  Here's more information than you probably want. :)   Work in several different styles of music, using mix of IEM and speakers. That's shown the Numa's strengths and weaknesses. 

For  an "all rounder"  the Numa would be worth checking out.  However,  If you're just looking for something weighted  as a bottom Nord controller, a slab piano like the Kawai ES or Yamaha p225/P121 might be great (and cheaper) as bottom boards.  They also make a few  great sounds (AP, Rhodes, basic pads, strings)  on their own.

I typically use  either Stage 2ex compact,  or Electro 6 as top boards, and the Numa 73  as bottom.  Originally got Numa with intent of it being just a compact controller for the Nord's pianos, but have really grown to love it on it's own- with some exceptions.  Love the UI and love the company.  Downside: Even as a longtime Pianoteq user,  always had a problem connecting (live) with modeled AP sounds.  In some contexts I'm still not 100% happy. 

1. "Roots Rock rig"  (Wurli, Organ, AP) usually IEM.  Numa and  Crumar Mojo (or  Electro if tight stage)..  Still trying to get totally happy with Wurli and AP's  in that context. The uprights have been surprisingly useful.  Occasionally used  Nord /Mojo combo but have a hard time playing un-weighted keys for piano parts. 

2. Smooth jazz gig  (IEM, & occasionally wedges)  Numa and Electro.   After tweaking, the Numa's Rhodes have been a delight- especially for layers and sounds typical of that genre.   In that context, I'm very happy.  If the organ was a little better, I could do entire gig without Nord.  

3. Worship piano gig: (IEM)   88 Nord 2ex, and it's been a workhorse, as long as I don't have to move it- which I don't.  Being able to put your own custom samples and update the piano library  has extended the life of any Nord I've ever owned.  I've pulled  Numa on some other church gigs,  and sounded great for murky piano and pads typical of the "Hillsong sound". Just missed having the Nord organ.

4. Solo piano, jazz trio/quartet, ceremony/funeral gigs:  This is where I've been least satisfied.   Love the weight for hit and run cocktail gigs.   Rhodes of course is superb, but AP's through my Bose- not so much. Just started using Alto's 408s (as recommended by others here...)  In testing,  AP's  sounded very nice and useable in mono.  First gig tonight using them will report back..  Been considering the Kawai strictly for these kind of gigs.   Miss having on board speakers, and think sampled piano oddly works better in this (exposed) format.   Also miss having 88 keys for solo, and when I have to play LH bass.  But hasn't been a show-stopper.

5. Pit band/Oldies: (IEM)  Numa, Mainstage, and Nord Stage 2 up top.    Pretty much perfect for everything I've thrown at it. Piano, vibes, orchestral- the layering has been wonderful for complex scores and parts. 

Bottom line- if using IEM, and stereo,  in band context- love the Numa and it's tweakablility.   Naked in Mono, through  less than hi-fi amplification, everything except the acoustic pianos. 

• Thanks 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I binned off the Nord Electro 5HP for the YC73 (same action as CP73) because the action is far superior. The TP100 action on the Nord felt like a bag of spanners to play, whereas the YC73’s balanced weighted action feels premium and fast by comparison. Of course, it’s not a full on Hammer Action like the CP88 which I also own, but for band work, the CP73/YC73 suits me very well. 

• Like 4

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50