Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Matryoshka Doll Theremin Ensemble

I've seen this before. Absolutely wonderful.  Ever since seeing 2001:A Space Odyessy as a kid I've been fascinated by machines that make vocal sounds.  The Teenage Engineering Vocal Doll collection is likewise creepy. A fantasy of mine is to find 4 Teddy Ruxpins in working order, sample the control tracks and make them sing the Ode To Joy.  It would be far cheaper than the TE critters and make a great video. All that eye rollin and lip smackin... 

https://teenage.engineering/products/choir

13 hours ago, ksoper said:

I've seen this before. Absolutely wonderful.  Ever since seeing 2001:A Space Odyessy as a kid I've been fascinated by machines that make vocal sounds.  The Teenage Engineering Vocal Doll collection is likewise creepy. A fantasy of mine is to find 4 Teddy Ruxpins in working order, sample the control tracks and make them sing the Ode To Joy.  It would be far cheaper than the TE critters and make a great video. All that eye rollin and lip smackin... 

https://teenage.engineering/products/choir

Would a single Teddy and some multitracking software work? Creepy Jacob Collier tribute...

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

Ok - questions.  

So there is a theramin-like device in the wooden dolls… I am guessing each self amplified and we are hearing the ensemble from a video mic in the room?  

The piano accompaniment is live or a recording?  

Are the stethoscopes so each Matryomin player can hear the accuracy of their own pitch vs the ensemble? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

10 hours ago, Franz Schiller said:

SO COOOOL!!!

I wish they'd give us a range of notes so we could sample them.

Also, it's funny how flat their expressions are while playing a hilarious boogie woogie Ode to Joy.

And their legs are crossed the same way. That and their stone faced expressions kind of freaked me out.

7 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Ok - questions.  

So there is a theramin-like device in the wooden dolls… I am guessing each self amplified and we are hearing the ensemble from a video mic in the room?  

The piano accompaniment is live or a recording?  

Are the stethoscopes so each Matryomin player can hear the accuracy of their own pitch vs the ensemble? 

I think we all have a lot of questions. :P It looks like they each have a small amp at their feet. 

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2023 at 11:35 AM, stoken6 said:

Would a single Teddy and some multitracking software work? Creepy Jacob Collier tribute...

Cheers, Mike.

Syncing would certainly be a whole lot easier. But where would the challenge be in that?  

• Haha 1