Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I like things like the per-block pitch shifting. The first aspect that's mentioned, tempo, isn't that big a deal to me...I often start at an arbitrary tempo, and tweak as the song develops. Obviously MIDI doesn't care, it can adapt to tempo changes. Digital audio simply requires telling events to stretch to tempo. Stretching quality is good enough these days that you can get away with it.

However, I think the most important aspect here is that this DAW isn't based on the tape recording paradigm. Yes, DAWs can do non-linear recording, but the blockhead DAW takes that concept much further. It will be interesting to see how this develops, assuming it does...

• Like 1

I think he's trying to reinvent the wheel to some extent, but I can readily appreciate the desire to move outside rigid frameworks for the sake of more fluid creativity. I happen to be happily locked into mine, but what I watched made me think of the intriguing layer of abstraction, much like MPE's. We could have a lengthy talk about pattern development and the human attraction to familiarity in various systems of order, some workable, some un-sane, but oddly enough, I think I get where he's trying to go. Its partly like Live twisted into a helix. 🤔

When new ideas appear, especially in the arts, there's a natural tug of war between what people know & love vs. their ability/desire to stretch enough to embrace a new format. I think he's created a vanity sequencer, but if he's already put 3 years into it, it might blossom by Xmas 2025 and develop a fan base among the glitch crowd. Synthesis loosely means "getting a lot of odd ducks in a row." *cough* Buchla *cough*.    

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"