Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB MIDI thru…?

Sitting on the QE2 (old big boat) and got some downtime between a couple of gigs this weekend. I like to keep thinking about my Roladn Integra iPad app, which by the time I finish It (or get someone to code it properly). I'm brute forcing things, and I know there's better ways, but, I'm not clever enough! Ultimately, I'd like it to be modular and be able to be changed easily to control other bits of MIDI gear. So, my question…

Thinking about other features - MIDI learn as a thing. It would convert CC messages from an external controller to the SysEx needed to say control Drawbars, or the filter etc. I know the Integra can send stuff received at MIDI In to the USB port (> iPad). I know my Deepmind 12 can do it. I have my Kronos on the gig this weekend, so will double check that, but, I've never found anything a Kronos can't do!

Actually, now my question…

How many other modules/keyboards support this USB MIDI Thru thing? Anyone use the feature?

I use the USB MIDI Thru feature on the Yamaha Motif XF as a key part of my setup, with whatever bottom keyboard is available (used only as a controller).

My standard rig is

Bottom keyboard -> DIN MIDI -> Motif XF6 -> USB -> Laptop running Cantabile hosting B-3X and other stuff

The bottom keyboard is thus able to either play XF6 internal sounds, or as lower manual for B-3X or other plugins.  With the XF6 MIDI port set to USB mode, it does not read MIDI input from the DIN jack but just passes it through to the USB connection, so if i want the bottom board (or any section of it) to play internal XF6 sounds, i just have Cantabile echo MIDI from the bottom board back to the XF6.

Hope that makes sense,

- Jimbo

• Like 1

When I was experimenting with having the ipad "between" two keyboards--using the b-3x organ app--I wanted each keyboard to have to the option to control that app, but also each other.   I found that connecting both keyboards' usb and the tablet's to a hub worked great...they all saw all the messages and using Midiflow I was able to control things.  I ended up not gigging with this as I like simplicity and in fact am down to one keyboard now, but as a proof of concept it worked pretty well!  It even allowed me to work with the Summit's annoying global local on/off--I just turned this off and whenever I wanted to play the Summit's sounds from its own keyboard, just routed it to itself in Midiflow :)  

• Like 1