Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Staff Pad feature called Piano Capture

AI was given thousands of hours of piano music as a method of enhancing its ability to interpret audio to midi data as music notation.  I haven’t used it but in theory this is exactly what a computer would need to learn the language and transcribe it as a human would.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The feature examples in the video look pretty cool. The reviews are kind of rough in the app store. I'd be interested to hear if or when anyone here puts it to use..

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

4 minutes ago, Redknife said:

The feature examples in the video look pretty cool. The reviews are kind of rough in the app store. I'd be interested to hear if or when anyone here puts it to use..

On the app itself as a whole or the specific Piano Capture feature?

I experimented with StaffPad when it was first released.  Thought it was a very cool program, but my handwriting is so atrocious it really wasn't the best program for me.

But if we are at the stage where I can play an acoustic piano, and have it transcribe everything accurately, then that's a game changer and I'd give it another try.

Yes, I passed on staff pad for its main feature at release because it reminded me of using a palm pilot, having to draw musical symbols a certain way rather than just recognizing what we write normally.  When software can do that with great accuracy sign me up. 

More on its tempo mapping tools and how it can be helpful when doing your own transcribing. 

1 hour ago, cedar said:

I experimented with StaffPad when it was first released.  Thought it was a very cool program, but my handwriting is so atrocious i

Same, I even bought a Microsoft Surface just for it! It was amazing when it worked, and an endless barrage of frustration when it didn't...the ratio of instances between the two were more even than I liked, so I stopped.

I'd be curious sometime to update it and see how it fares now, but honestly over the years I found the quickest and easiest electronic method of plopping notes down for me was actually plain-old piano roll! 

17 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

On the app itself as a whole or the specific Piano Capture feature?

Both. The new Piano Capture is certainly enticing but is part of a whole. I'm thankful for the feedback already in the thread.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

18 hours ago, cedar said:

But if we are at the stage where I can play an acoustic piano, and have it transcribe everything accurately, then that's a game changer and I'd give it another try.

I've been trying out various solutions for capturing performances on my MIDI/Pianobar-equipped grand.  With this new Piano Capture feature, it looks like it's time to give the iOS version of StaffPad a shot.

Dennis