Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Universal Audio plugin users, have you converted to native?

The post in the software sales thread about the UA sale got me thinking about installing native on my laptop. I had not been in any hurry knowing that any song I need to finish will end up on my MacMini with the Apollo connected. But, today I decided to go ahead and install. First, I had forgotten they use iLok. Already had that on my MacBook and only had to link accounts. What they really need on the UA site is a list within your account that specifies if the plugin is Native. I have 84 plugins in my account. To see which are available as native I have to look them up, one at a time on the plugin page. It would be so simple to put a check box in the list next to each plug and give that information. Well, I installed UA Connect on my MacBook to let it notify me which plugs I can use without the hardware. Turns out to be only 23. Only 27 percent of my plugins. Not good.

Is the MPN crowd doing better than me? I really hope so.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something like a Manley Massive Passive is going to be a HUGE hit on your CPU. It may be support doesn't want to deal with "I used your plugin and now my DAW crashes all the time and I can't get enough tracks and you suck."

Still using the hardware here.

Long time UAD2 hardware user here, my current system is 12 cores (octo satellite + a quad PCI card in a thunderbolt enclosure). When I updated my studio computer to an M1 Mac Mini, I updated the UAD software which included the native (UADX) versions of the plugins I owned in the UAD2 format.

Using the UADX plugs is exactly the same as the hardware, they sound great, and at least for the ones I own (mainly the 1176 and LA2A compressors), the processor hit on the M1 is negligible. But I did run into one issue. I normally run my studio computer without an internet connection, and just use my iPhone hotspot when I need a connection. The other day, I was running a mix with a lot of the UADX instances while connected to the internet, and they were all disabled. It seems that a new software update had been released, and the UADX plug-ins automatically check, and automatically disable if there is a new version. Fortunately, you can update the plug-ins individually not do the whole UAD package at once, like the UAD2 plugs. But it was a pain. I generally don't like auto-updating on my audio machine, I'll keep running older OS and software as long as they work.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow