Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT? - Coming to town... Carl Palmer Tour 2023 - Return of ELP... Yay or nay ?

Finale

On 9/23/2023 at 3:04 PM, AnotherScott said:

Steve Howe's Yes is another that has no original members (not since Chris Squire passed). Though Howe has been with them long enough (and was on the earliest hits), he probably "seems" like an original.

Instead of "Yes," it should have been billed as "Not Really."

I'm surprised that's even legal.

I've never seen Carl Palmer and for that reason I'd consider it. But yeah it's a weird presentation for sure. Though I'd rather seeing him playing in a truly 100% live setting, or even a drum clinic would be better.

As these folks leave us you'll see more and more of this. Screens, holograms....all of it. Reminds me of when the big band leaders started going and you'd see (and still see) "The Tommy Dorsey Band featuring ______________________" (the new anonymous bandleader). How bands cope with a person owning the name and the rights, or how the sole survivor (Asia pun) figures out a way to create a marketable show of some sort for their dwindling demographic, it's all fascinating to me.

First it was the big bands, then the doo-wop groups, now it's the 60's/70's guys. In 2040 it'll be the 80's synth and hair bands. Solo artists have it easier in this regard. Time marches on.

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

2 hours ago, kpl1228 said:

I've never seen Carl Palmer and for that reason I'd consider it. But yeah it's a weird presentation for sure. Though I'd rather seeing him playing in a truly 100% live setting, or even a drum clinic would be better.

As these folks leave us you'll see more and more of this. Screens, holograms....all of it. Reminds me of when the big band leaders started going and you'd see (and still see) "The Tommy Dorsey Band featuring ______________________" (the new anonymous bandleader). How bands cope with a person owning the name and the rights, or how the sole survivor (Asia pun) figures out a way to create a marketable show of some sort for their dwindling demographic, it's all fascinating to me.

First it was the big bands, then the doo-wop groups, now it's the 60's/70's guys. In 2040 it'll be the 80's synth and hair bands. Solo artists have it easier in this regard. Time marches on.

It's still happening of course. Look up the group Sugababes.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

If it's any consolation, from a recent Carl Palmer drum solo on YouTube, at least he doesn't take his shirt off during the double bass drum section...mercifully.

I mean, he's still a beast on drums, regardless of age...but perhaps he got the memo, or self-awareness finally kicked in.

Like Toto, it seems like CP could hire a couple of great young players (with the same keys, bass/guitar/vocals 3 piece) and do a "Carl Palmer Presents The Music of ELP" or something like that and do a nice representation of what they were about? He could tell stories about the making of songs and albums, do a nice tribute to Greg and Keith in a sincere manner..that would be a tasteful and likely successful package. I'm surprised his agent/management didn't suggest that first?

And speaking of the Guess Who....

https://rockcellarmagazine.com/burton-cummings-randy-bachman-the-guess-who-lawsuit-band-name/

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Saw the *Carl Palmer Beats Two Dead Horses* tour last night. 😓😥

I am self-proclaimed rabid fan of ELP & YES (not the various Lazarus versions) 

I was soooo fortunate to meet ELP in person in Florida at the Bayfront Center for the BSS tour.   One of my most exciting encounters ever.  So altho I am a huge fan of Carl’s to this day, I walked away from the concert with so many feelings.   Amazed and impressed with Carl, especially at his age, the man is still amazing.

Resentful that there was so little of Greg and Keith and too much of the two fabulous musicians Carl brought in to augment the music. I felt like I was at a memorial service and they kept forgetting to memorialize the dead.  The films were of a poor quality.  Too much of the 70’s graphics on the screen … instead of Greg and Keith with Carl.  
BUT, the opening was hysterical! Various places that t the names ELP Awere mentioned like on The Simpson several times, and Cheers as well as Jeopardy.  

But all in all this was a Carl Palmer concert with a little bit of old footage of a ELP concert at The Royal Albert Hall.  “Now they know how many holes it takes”….. 

It was an ok night, at a great venue but nothing I would recommend, nor attend again. 
Sorry Carl.

• Like 1

Did he mention that Devo started as an ELP tribute band?

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager