Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Computer help

My computer doesn't know it has a CD drive. The tray won't open, and it doesn't show that I have an E: drive anymore. Can anyone suggest how to convince my computer it has a CD drive, so I can put the recovery disk in there?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check the cable connections inside the PC. If all is snug, right click "MY COMPUTER" and choose "PROPERTIES" (or just hit Windows Flag key + PAUSE) and go to Device Manager (Or Hardware/Device Manager on XP) and see if there's a CD-ROM listed, perhaps with a yellow "!" icon beside it.

If that's the case, click it, hit DELETE, and reboot. On reboot, see if it recognizes the CD-ROM whether with a flash on it's light or on the screen with all the diagnostic info. You may need to reinstall the drivers, but most CD drives are plug and play.

Originally posted by Christopher Kemp:

The ominous words in your post are "recovery disk"...is there something else wrong besides the CD drive?

CHeaper than spyware protection, that's what.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Sometimes there are jumpers on the back of the CD drives (old style) for denoting whether it is a primary or secondary drive. When in doubt, choose 'cable select' or 'CS'. Also, make sure it is turned on in the BIOS.

Matt

In two days, it won't matter.

If the tray won't open - even when the PC is first switched on & has not booted Windows yet? - then either there is no power to the drive or the drive is toast. Check the power connection, check the voltage from the PSU if you can, and then try a new CD drive - you should be able to snag a cheapie to make sure it works, then if you want a fancy one you'll at least know that you don't have some other issue to deal with.

If you can open it during the PC's power-up cycle, but then it hangs under Windows, then you have a software issue.

Archived