Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Motion Sound KP-612SX Initial Impression: I am pleased!

cassdad

I received the new Motion Sound KP-612SX last week, and wanted to play with a band prior to posting a brief review.  Now having done so, I am very pleased to report that, in short, I am initially very pleased with this keyboard amp!

Disclaimer:  I am in no way compensated or associated with this manufacturer.  I paid full price, and these are my personal impressions, solely for the purpose of sharing with fellow professional keyboard players.

Background:

For years, I was carting two (2) Bose L1 Model 2 w/B2 subs as my keyboard amplification.  They are very good, although keys are not their sweet spot (vocals and acoustic guitars are).  Add some 100+ pounds each, six hard cases, the stage real estate required and transport was a bear.  To lighten the load (among several other reasons beyond the scope of this post), I tried several powered speakers, and in that price range, the Yamaha DXR-10’s were, IMO, the best sounding and value.  Accordingly, I have been satisfactorily using them for quite some time.  But they have draw backs also, of course, which include having to put them on poles in order to get the needed sound level, which was blasting my bass player’s ears, etc.  As well as the “boxy” sound associated with this type of amp/speaker, and they would run out of steam at high volume levels (plenty “loud”, but at the sacrifice of a full-range quality sound).  Plus I’m getting old, and am looking for less total weight and greatly reduced set-up/tear-down time, and reduced complexity in general.  All I really want is, to the maximum extent possible, for both myself and the audience to hear the best live keyboard sound possible, in stereo.  Accordingly, the new Motion Sound KP-612SX is my latest attempt at achieving these goals.

My Impressions:

The MS 612SX comes with casters (the 610 with 10-inch speakers does not), making transport that much easier, (along with handles on the top and sides).  And at a total weight of 49 pounds (which includes its own 2-channel on-board mixer), it accomplishes for me a real reduction in weight, complexity and set-up time, while still retaining a high-quality full-range tone, in noticeable stereo, with plenty of power (my goals).  Carting only 1 relatively light box, plugging my keys directly into it, and still having an excellent STEREO sound, with a huge “stereo sweet spot”, is like a dream come true for me.  This is the amp I’ve dreamed of since I was a kid!  I am very pleased with the sound quality.  I was spurred on by the Al Quinn comparison video comparing the RCF TT08As vs a MS KP-610.  I’d have to say that, with the 12-inch speakers, I think this MS KP-612SX sounds even better.  Very respectable bass response and high end.  I’m sure it’s not as balanced and clear as the RCF TT08As.  But I dare say it’s respectably close.  And in its own way, it’s a really good sound for a piano keyboard (as well as all the other voices).  I’m still experimenting with the “stereo expander”, deciding if I like it or even need it (it’s effect varies greatly upon the source’s stereo separation).  Still trying to decide if it’s just a gimmick, or really value-added.  On certain sounds, wow, it really does expand the audible stereo separation, but definitely changes the tone response.  Probably very subjective.  But the on-board tone controls are very effective and responsive, IMO.  BTW, I closed my eyes and listened to the sound quality as I turned each of the mixer knobs, stopping at where I felt is the best achievable tone balance…. to my surprise, it sounds best at all controls set nearly “flat” (ie. 1/2 way).  Regarding overall tone output for piano - I’ve found it to be very good, from high to low.  It is the 1st keyboard amp where I’ve found placement to be less important.  I’ve moved it all around my rehearsal room, in front of me, behind, to the left and right - and I’m amazed at still how consistent the sound quality is, and how well I hear the “stereo” effect.  Playing with a rock band, I was able to gauge its effective volume level (aka “keeping up with the screaming guitar”).  And It does just fine, has plenty of headroom while still maintaining great sound quality.  Motion Sound recommends raising it 2 feet, but the amp stand I ordered did not fit this amp due to the caster and power plug socket locations.  So my listening to date has been with the amp sitting on the floor on casters.  I have owned other keyboard amps (e.g. Roland KC-500’s and KC-990), and this one is, by far, much, much better.  It does not come with a cover, so I purchased one from “Le Cover”, and am also very pleased with it.  I also tried using the “slave” speaker outputs (with no amps), and it works great, but more than I’ll usually need.  And last but not least, in response to some past comments - I found the overall build quality, including the feel of the pots (dials/knobs), to be completely satisfactory.

I am on a quest to reduce the amount of gear and transport weight and time, while maintaining a pro sound for live gigging, at a reasonable price.  I think this MS KP-612SX is the closest I’ve yet come to “ideal”.  Until the next new big thing…. 🙂.  YMMV.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).

• 8 months later...

Motion-Sound Amplifiers.

I have one of the Motion-Sound Pro-3TM "1/2 Leslie" Cabinets that needs some work (plastic pots gos damaged, want to replace with screwdriver adjustable pots) and have tried to contact the company, tried E-Mailing to no response and haven't been able to find a phone number.

Do you have any information on contacting them I might not have?

20 hours ago, Craig Browning said:

Motion-Sound Amplifiers.

I have one of the Motion-Sound Pro-3TM "1/2 Leslie" Cabinets that needs some work (plastic pots gos damaged, want to replace with screwdriver adjustable pots) and have tried to contact the company, tried E-Mailing to no response and haven't been able to find a phone number.

Do you have any information on contacting them I might not have?

Jeff@msamps.com

Here is an old phone number: 801-953-0615

This is the exact reason why i wont purchase any more gear from them, non-responsiveness.  Also they have been out of rotary motors for about 4 years so if your rotary motor burns out you're screwed.  What good is purchasing a new pro3tm "under warranty" if they cant supply parts?  This also means that any new rotary product you might find in the market was produced over 4 years ago.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I bought custom slip covers to protect my KP-612SX and SL-512.  Seems to be working so far.

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512;  Apple iPad Pro (5th Gen, M1 chip);  Apple MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max chip).