Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got the Numa X Piano 73 - Maybe there's something better

Rarely do I find the opinions of others reflect my own feelings about a particular keyboard. I've always just put it down to the fact that I'm different to the mainstream, if there's even such a thing.🤔  But then again we're all different, so we all have the difference in common.😄

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

2 hours ago, RABid said:

I would have to drive 7 hours to Sweetwater to really compare stage pianos. But, if I was buying it might be worth it.

I've posted before to check out backline companies.    I often use road  and church gigs to test things I'm interested in when backline is provided. Did that when shopping for Nords and Leslies.  Have also used local backline to try out mics and preamps for the studio.      You can always try posting on FB ("Keyboard players in cover bands") or Craigslist that you're seeking to rent from any fellow local keyboardists  -   I'm sure if you're close to any of us here that would be an option too.     

Also some traditional acoustic piano stores (if you can find one nearby) will often have the better electronic slab pianos (Casio, Kawai)  Music and Arts is owned by GC-  they  have a ton of the Yamaha stuff.     Here in ATL, it's pretty bad:  GC's are waste of time, Sam Ash is barren,  and we've only got two acoustic piano dealers left.. So my preferred choice is to buy from Sweetwater and pay restock fee. It's less stressful.        Ironically one of the bigger Hammond guys (the awesome Greg Black of Black Hammond in Macon GA ) also carries a ton of other keyboards,  so pays to look outside the box. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

On 8/6/2023 at 4:54 PM, stoken6 said:

Conclusion: you'd be happy with an organ-style action like on the Electro 6D

Conclusion: you want something (meaningfully) lighter than your NS2

Conclusion: you need mod/pitch control (and also assignable outs). 

Suggestion: trade your hammer-action NS2 for a Stage 3 Compact? The same action as the Electro D (but with aftertouch), drawbars, pitch/mod, assignable outs, assignable control pedal. I don't know if that's in your budget. NS3 prices should be dropping in the wake of the 4 being launched.

Cheers, Mike.

I will say that you came to the exact right conclusion.

I picked up a used NS3 Compact.   There's a lot to like about it.  I can already see all the great interface improvements, memory increase for so many more pianos and EPs, tons of synth patches (havent found the sampled sounds yet), a real power cord!,  and last but not least, I'm relatively fine with the semi weighted action. For that trade off I can gig with this lightweight little beast.  And I can sell the NS2 to get some cash back.  Or so I thought.

I'm going to return it for two reasons.

First, one of the back corners is scuffed up bad, wood and paint is missing.  Not pretty.  Not disclosed by the seller.  Could have been caused by shipping also as that end of the board had NO padding (or it shifted away) on that side of the box.  Notably, the pics on Reverb did not show that side of the instrument. 

But mainly, it seems a no brainer to just spend the bucks and get the Nord Stage 4 HA73 - yes it's heavier at almost 37lbs - but as another commenter succinctly pointed out - the case alone with my NS2 was an extra 20lbs weighing in at a total of approx 60lbs.  I can handle lugging around the 88 but it's too big and additionally the Stage 4 HA73 will be lighter with a lighter case.  The HA73 Hammer Action is not the crappy Hammer Portable on the Stage 3 76.  And given that now I will sell the NS2.

I don't mind the semi-weighted action, but I would much prefer the hammer action in a smaller, lighter, easier to move, newer form.

Outside of price, anyone have any thoughts about this plan?  I've seen a few gripes, and some mentions of a buggy OS for example.  I've seen many positive accounts of the action

Playing Nord Stage 2, Hammond XK1c, LH bass, with sax and drums

https://youtu.be/0-H0GRBWiM4?si=4PBofKIl5qD-we5p

9 hours ago, JohnCorda said:

get the Nord Stage 4 HA73 - yes it's heavier at almost 37lbs - but as another commenter succinctly pointed out - the case alone with my NS2 was an extra 20lbs weighing in at a total of approx 60lbs.

Choose your case carefully. I have a NS2/76 hammer (that's got a proper hammer action, not the crappy HP action) which weighs 36lbs and I can lift it in a soft bag without wheels. A heavier case could get you back to where you started.

Cheers, Mike. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put in an order for the NordGBHP Soft Case for 73 keys.  $200 on sale at Sweetwater (currently backordered).  It's listed as 8lbs

Stage 4 HA73 = 37lbs + 8 = 45lbs , better than the 60lbs for Stage 2 + case.

...Because I bought a Nord Stage 4 HA 73 - Got it new for about $900 less, I couldn't pass it up.

So I'll be putting the Nord Stage 2 88 on the market shortly.

Now I have the Nord Stage 3 Compact and Nord Stage 4 HA 73 and I've been comparing.  I'll sell one and break even at worst.  The seller sent me a new end cap and a partial refund for the Compact.

I love the interface on the Stage 3, but only like the action for organ (and I have a XK1c already).  The interface is a better thought out version of the Stage 2, very familiar but better.

I love the action of the Stage 4, but the control panel is stuffed with confusing and probably unnecessary features.  I have both set up for my rehearsal last night and the Stage 4 keybed feels just right.  I'm going back to my studio to sit with the Stage 4 and the manual and see what can be done to make the controls performance friendly.

For example I use a lot of dubby echos on reggae tunes combined with a stereo wah pedal.  I'll create a patch with a delay set to master clock and triplet then turn off the effect and save the patch.  Then live I only need to switch on the effect when I want and tap the tempo in.  The delay on/off is a simple discrete button on Stage 2/3 but on the 4 it's tucked in a corner and I haven't figured out how to quickly access an effect as they are capable of being set to so many different sound areas.  Same thing with the reverb knob,etc.

The dream Nord is the Stage 3 interface with the Stage 4 weighted action.

21 minutes ago, kanefsky said:

It's a very nice case.  You can actually fit the Nord Stand EX in the side pocket :)

I should also warn that when I backordered that case from Sweetwater it took six months before it shipped (despite being given earlier estimates).  Thomann (whose estimates I tend to trust more) is currently saying 14-18 weeks.

Had a Stage 4 as a backline board a few months ago. It felt and sounded good to me - I like Nord and their sounds, action and finger-to-ear-connection.

I could not find, in the heat of battle, where they have moved the “Organ Split Init” which is an important patch in Live Mode for a bunch of my gigs. Any NS4 owners care to enlighten me about this?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

8 hours ago, kanefsky said:

I should also warn that when I backordered that case from Sweetwater it took six months before it shipped (despite being given earlier estimates).  Thomann (whose estimates I tend to trust more) is currently saying 14-18 weeks.

Oof, I'd like to start gigging with the Stage 4.  I accidentally deleted the voicemail from my rep at Sweetwater before I heard it, I'll give a call tomorrow and check.  So I might have to use my Stage 2 case with some extra packing inside - starting with the foam sides from the box the Stage 4 came in.  I actually have two Stage 2 cases so when I sell that board I'll have one still.  Didn't want to wait months but $200 is a great price.

So just to update on using the Stage 4 and interface vs Stage 3, I spent some hours with it and I'm learning it well enough.  Many nice features but most that I like were introduced in the 3 anyhow.  However I'm picking up on the shortcuts and with some nicely planned patches, I can have the quick "heat of the battle" -as David said above- kind of options.

What I'm not thrilled about controls-wise: 

• the split options on Stage 2/3 are double clickable in each section to quickly select the options of L/M/R but on the Stage 4 they are attached to the Octave Up/Down with Shift.
  • On the synth, the ADR (Attack, Decay, Release) is accessed by pressing the Amp button, then using the 3 rotaries under the synth display.  I much prefer three hard knobs for that.

On the synth overall, this is copy pasted from a Reddit post:

Stage 3 has the Nord Lead A1's synth engine

Stage 4 has the Nord Wave 2's synth engine

I dabbled with both and I like the sound of the 3 more. 

Personally, I liked the Stage Classic synth better than Stage 2.  And now I'm basically skipping over the 3, but prefer that synth over the 4 lol.

So conclusion is I'm keeping the Stage 4, that action for that form factor can't be beat.  Plus incredible pianos, EPs, samples, decent synth, effects options, and a great organ section I can use for single keyboard shows.  I'll continue with the XK1c plus Vent2 for 2nd tier.

Time to sell a Nord Stage 2 88 and a Stage 3 Compact.