Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Microsoft Surface Go3 as a serious musical instrument

For people who would be interested in using a tablet for their music, a casual forum reader may not realise that there is a choice other than IPads. Based on my experiences over the last few weeks, I would say Microsoft Surface Go should be a genuine contender.  I have been testing a Go 2 out and have been surprised at it's capabilities, given the hardware specs are not that great on paper.  

I'm running VST Live as my host and using Omnisphere, Keyscape, Roland Zenology Pro, Blue3 and Addictive Keys virtual instruments. It is working great.  The only time I've run into issues with audio performance is when using 2 or 3 CPU intensive patches on Zenology. This has caused a few drop outs when I leave the sustain pedal down but I can use them if I play carefully.  14 out of my 16 songs with multiple patches play flawlessly. I would expect the newer Go3 would do better here but haven't had one to try.

Coupled with my Casio CT-S500, it makes a great backup rig to my main keyboard and I would be much happier leaving that in the back of a car / backstage than my full Surface Pro laptop. I've attached a pic of my rig. I also use a Arturia MiniFuse 1 as an interface, as this has a hub I can plug the keyboard into as well as the computer.  With the Go2 and Casio running off batteries I can do a 2 hour gig with no need for mains power.  

The Surface Go is Microsoft smallest variant of its surface line up (ignoring the Duo phones).  It is a smaller version of the Surface Pro, so a form of laptop with a similar detachable keyboard, kickstand and touch screen. It runs the full version of Windows, for standard x64 chipsets (not ARM). The current version 3, with its top spec,  has an Intel Core  i3 processor, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD and and SD card slot to expand storage.   This is currently available for less than £600 / $650 (keyboard costs from £80/$80 extra). Lower spec processors and less memory are available but I wouldn't recommend them for anything other than a door stop.

Advantages

• This is a full strength laptop running  a full version of Windows. It will run all existing Windows plug-ins and virtual instruments. This includes DAWs, VST2/3s,  Kontact libraries and so on. This is a massive plus compared to iOS, which can only offer a small range of libraries, many cut down from the full MacOS versions  - if they are even available.
  • The licenses for many libraries allow use of multiple computers, so no need to spend any extra cash on software for existing users. Most iPad apps require new purchases as they are not the same as their desktop brethren.
  • The Go has separate power and USB connections and can play and charge at the same time without the need of 3rd party hubs and adaptors.  
  • Cost is comparable with an  iPad. Older generation Go , Go2s cost the same as the older generation iPads.
  • It can be used as a full laptop should you desire (provided your workloads arn't too taxing, it ain't going to be rendering 3D graphics quickly). 

These next advantages are a little more subjective - and probably at risk of my pro Windows, not so pro MacOs / iOS bias
  • Increased stability.  Windows updates are less likely to break applications and plug-ins than their iOS equivalents
  • Future compatibility.  There is lower risk that software will become obsolete / unusable on Windows than Mac.  Note - this is not zero risk. Past performance is no guarantee of future events.
  • Control and ownership. Windows based devices can be backed up and restored by third party software and installation programs don't need an Appstore to function.  iOS applications are totally dependent on the app store to install software. Previously purchased apps can be withdrawn at any time and there is no way to install them using previous installs or backups.

Disadvantages

• Hardware specs are not the best. It will run out of performance if pushed too hard.  It is not going to run your DAW with 250+ tracks and hundreds of plugins. 
  • For the money, better performing laptops are available - but not with the same quality of hardware and tablet options.
  • It is not a full iPad replacement.  Windows touch experience is not going to compete with an iPad.  A lot depends on choice of software with good touch interface - it does exist However, to make the best use, the keyboard/trackpad will need to be kept handy. 
  • Battery life is not as good as an iPad. It is giving me 4 hours dependent on load.

If you are looking for something cheap, compact and tablet form as opposed to a laptop,  I reckon the Surface Go3 would fit the bill beautifully  - as long as you can live with Windows. 

20230722_131239.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the thorough review of the current crop of Surface Go.   It sounds like we’ve reached a point where entry level specs are just about good enough. Which is great.  That wasn’t the case 2012-2018 with Surface, Surface 2 and the first Surface Go. 

Surface Go 3 with i3/8gb/128gb WiFi (no LTE) is $629.99 at Best Buy in the US.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Great points on the Surface iPad alternative. I gigged with a Surface Pro 2 for a couple years, running Wurlie, Pianoteq, and VB3. Much smaller footprint that a regular iPad and better sounds (though now you can get Pianoteq for iPad).

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

On the Windows App Store I wound up using Mobile Sheets for my charts, lead sheets and sheet music librarian. 

https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

Though I don’t use it actively in favor of iPad and forScore because everyone I work with uses it and we can share charts at the start of the gig with airdrop including set lists and annotations which just makes my life easier. 

Following this thread with interest...I have a Surface Pro 8 with 16 gigs RAM and an i7 that I got for engineering coursework but ended up not using once I switched majors. I have been toying with the idea of making it part of a live rig...

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

33 minutes ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

Following this thread with interest...I have a Surface Pro 8 with 16 gigs RAM and an i7 that I got for engineering coursework but ended up not using once I switched majors. I have been toying with the idea of making it part of a live rig...

Your Surface Pro with those specs is quite capable. Reach out to forum member, counterpoint, who is using that rig.  

IPad Gen 9 cost me £310 new and ran everything I threw at it. This looks like almost twice the price and, I imagine less ‘apps’ available. Certainly don’t want to start another apple vs windows debate, and I appreciate you are highlighting that there is a viable option, but what is the advantage of paying the extra for the Surface Go over an iPad for musical applications? I suspect connection options would be better on the Surface…

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

37 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

IPad Gen 9 cost me £310 new and ran everything I threw at it. This looks like almost twice the price and, I imagine less ‘apps’ available. Certainly don’t want to start another apple vs windows debate, and I appreciate you are highlighting that there is a viable option, but what is the advantage of paying the extra for the Surface Go over an iPad for musical applications? I suspect connection options would be better on the Surface…

It runs a desktop OS which will run the enormous selection of VSTs compiled for Windows and if you are a Windows user, you likely already own them. Cantabile and Gig Performer are excellent hosts for VSTs on that platform.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

A Surface Go2 will cost around the same.

Running windows it can run any VST2, VST3 or Kontact library you choose. So a choice of thousands of decent instruments as opposed to the iPads handful.

So, similar cost, thousands of more apps available. Pretty compelling to me. 

4 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

what is the advantage of paying the extra for the Surface Go over an iPad for musical applications? I suspect connection options would be better on the Surface

Screen size? £££/inch ratio is better than a >11in iPad Pro.

Also the ability to connect things while charging, as you mentioned.

I was thinking about a chromebook-tablet (Lenovo Duet something) which gives you 13in screen and the ability to run Android apps, as a large-screen score reader solution.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1