Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Squaring the Circle (The Story of Hipgnosis)

I had the usual Pink Floyd indicia, but my real prize was a 3-D-ish promotional mobile of the handshake from Wish You Were Here. Heck of an homage to a true genius burned to a crisp by LSD overload.

These guys delivered some of the best LP art of that era. Good luck getting that same rush from a CD insert, which you wouldn't see anyway, because its all digital now. To paraphrase Zappa, "Art isn't dead, it just smells funny."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/hipgnosis-180000658.html

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going to see this movie tonight. I'm really looking forward to it. I've long seen the credit "cover by Hipgnosis" on some of my favorite albums so I can't wait to find out the stories behind them.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It was a great movie. I knew nothing of the story of Hipgnosis except that they did lots of the cool covers of albums I had and knew until I saw the trailer when I was there for other movies a few weeks ago. Po is, as you might notice in the trailer, the center of the film as he should be, though there are clips of Storm as well.

I highly recommend it. :thu: I'm sure many of us have lots of these albums in our collections.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My favorite Hipnosis cover…. Great band too!

image.thumb.png.1161edfe833fee01804d50d943c127a2.png

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The funny thing is, Hipgnosis Songs is one of the producers of the movie, with their logo shown at the beginning with the other production companies involved. Yet, I see nothing on Hipgnosis Songs' web site regarding a relationship to the design studio.