Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not a big fan but kind of following Wimbledon....two thoughts:

- The guy Djokovic is playing is good, really good, and has one hell of a serve. He should go far in his career. 

- This pisses me off: https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/66150367  I don't know who I find more disgusting: the player who refuses to shake hands or the idiot crowd. I hate when people mix sports and politics. How ridiculous that the OTHER player was booed for committing the sin of being Russian.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree about sports and politics.

Years ago Bill Clinton was in the audience when Pete Sampras played at the US Open (I think it was the US Open). When he was giving his acceptance speech, having won, some in the crowd booed Clinton when Sampras acknowledged him. Pete said something like "come on." I took it to mean "not now let it go." This would have been the aftermath of the Monica Lewinski incident. Sampras was a class act. He was above politics including people encouraging him to have a more exciting persona. Loved the Agassi-Sampras matches. I enjoy tennis when John McEnroe is the commentator. I don't pay attention to stats and records. I like watching a good match but I prefer to see tennis through McEnroe's love for the game. I have not had access to tennis coverage in so long I do not actively look for it. Roger Federer was the last player I had followed.

PS can someone tell me who the hell the bearded dude was in the audience that they felt necessary to pan over to about oh 800 times during the men's match? And never bother to say who it was (not that I really cared)?

5 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

th?id=OVP.w-ZHC_NtxnbnyTj2mmnTgAGqDw%26p

Was it this guy? If so that's David Beckham a Spice Girls husband.

:roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

15 hours ago, bill5 said:

PS can someone tell me who the hell the bearded dude was in the audience that they felt necessary to pan over to about oh 800 times during the men's match? And never bother to say who it was (not that I really cared)?

Boris Becker? Tennis wunderkind of the 80s, one of the greatest tennis players of all time, youngest to ever win Wimbledon Singles (at 17, in 1985), Djokovic's trainer until 2016, and of recent notoriety for having spent eight months in a British prison for tax evasion, before being released early and deported to Germany. 

image.png.2c89c790b4e8f5a7148c20da3ccaefd9.png

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

it's weird, I grew up a "tennis kid", played on my high school team but I wasn't good enough for college by quite some margin.   Got "Tennis" magazine, watched every big tourney from the late 70s (Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Vilas etc) through much of the 80s.   Then my interest took a dive.  Not sure exactly why, it's not like the players got worse (much the opposite).   It is interesting how the game has gone through trends, speaking of Boris Becker he was not far removed from Edberg and others that turned the game into nothing but serve and volley (a rally lasting for 4 shots was a rarity).  Fast forward, and you don't see serve and volley much, mainly because the passing shots have gotten so accurate (could be racket technology).

So very odd.  The tennis has never been better (though perhaps too much on the baseline, where once it was too much serve and volley).   But I just have 0 interest in watching.   Some of it is overall lack of interest in sports, although I'll watch good soccer when I remember it's going to be on.  Premiere League, Women's world cup I'll be watching.  I'm not planning to watch the men's simply due to where it's being held (Qatar) but that's my loss I guess.