Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for PACE virtual iLok users.

I've managed to largely avoid using iLok for my foundation software products, and had just a few plugins which usually had up to 3 registrations available, so no need to swap back and forth between computers, and not worried when I de-register a computer I have decommissioned.

But as I recently started getting into East West Libraries, I am now faced with being able to have only one computer authorized.

So my question is, if I de-register my main computer to swap to my laptop temporarily while I'm away, can I then de-register the laptop when I get home and re-register my studio computer?

In other words, do they allow the swapping back and forth between computers like  when using the USB dongle?

I am reluctant to use a dongle, because I understand that if you lose or break it, you've lost your license, whereas the iLok cloud license can be retrieved by the vendor.

I'm paranoid about this, as there is a lot of money invested in these products, and I don't want to risk being left high and dry for all that cash outlay. Also my Pianoteq licence, (not iLok, in house Modartt), doesn't allow re-registering a computer which has previously been removed. (Though the guys at Modartt told me that if I contact them, they can remove the deleted computer from the deleted list so that I can reuse it), but it sounds a bit of a hassle.

So, I'm hoping this is a simple answer from those that do the same thing.👍

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

There is a live chat available at EW. They should know whether iLok allows what you want. (A moment ago it had the Chat in the lower right corner. Now it says leave a message. Must have caught them during hours of operation?).

HOW  TO FIND HELP

Visit the EastWest Support Center for Software and Product Updates, FAQs, Library and Software Manuals, and Getting Started guides. Live ChatEastWest’s Support Center offers Live Chat, the fastest way to reach a Support Team Member to help resolve any technical issues you may be having. Click on the red “Chat Now” box that appears in the lower-right corner. Fill in your name and email address, then click “Start the Chat”, or if an agent is not available click “Leave a Message” by explaining your issue, and a Support Agent will respond as soon as they’re available.

FWIW, I have not needed to do this with iLok but one of the other two (non-iLok) dongles I use have a limit on how many activation/de-activation/reactivations allowed until you have to get the software manufacturer involved. It is stupid because it is not uncommon for people to need to be able to switch from desktop to laptop and back frequently. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I did consider asking them a question, just thought I'd get some peer experiences here. Interesting what you say about the non iLok dongles. I thought that was the idea of the usb hardware dongles, as the activation goes with the plugin hardware.

There are many software products I would have liked over the years, but have never purchased, because of this potential issue. I know this topic has been regurgitated ad nauseam.

I'm all for the activation thing, but not the excessive heavy handed restrictions imposed on genuine customers by some vendors.

If the answer to my question is that I can swap back and forth between desktop and laptop as needed, then I'll be happy.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

So I did end up getting on to EW. Thankfully, the virtual iLok manager allows the same portability as the dongle. I can freely swap activations back and forth between my desktop and laptop with no restrictions. Not that it will happen frequently, but it gives me peace of mind knowing this. I get the impression, that this scenario must be a pretty common request.

• Like 1

This may not apply to your situation but I wanted to document the following for other potential users with a decommissioned computer.

I think the deactivations work the best if your deactivated computer is still online.  if this is the case then you can freely more the license between platforms.   However, if the deactivated  computer has been decommissioned (no longer accessible):it seems like you can authorize a new computer if one of two things happens:

1. ILok emails the library’s manufacture to allow you to register the product on the new platform. The manufacturer manually disables the previous license and authorizes you to perform a new install on a new hw platform.

2.  You have remaining authorizations.  Example:  The manufacturer allows a total of 3 authorizations and you used one of them on your decommissioned machine.  You can disable that single  authorization and use one of your remaining two authorizations on your new machine, even if the manufacturer has not disabled your 1st authorization using #1:above. 

i just did #2 today.  VI labs Ravenscroft was authorized on my decommissioned (no longer accessible) Mac,Pro but I wanted to install it on my current Mac.  I disabled the Mac Pro authorization (even though it was offline) in UVI and immediately authorized my current Mac, utilizing the 2nd of 3 allowed authorizations.  

• Like 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

50 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

This may not apply to your situation but I wanted to document the following for other potential users with a decommissioned computer.

I think the deactivations work the best if your deactivated computer is still online.  if this is the case then you can freely more the license between platforms.   However, if the deactivated  computer has been decommissioned (no longer accessible):it seems like you can authorize a new computer if one of two things happens:

1. ILok emails the library’s manufacture to allow you to register the product on the new platform. The manufacturer manually disables the previous license and authorizes you to perform a new install on a new hw platform.

2.  You have remaining authorizations.  Example:  The manufacturer allows a total of 3 authorizations and you used one of them on your decommissioned machine.  You can disable that single  authorization and use one of your remaining two authorizations on your new machine, even if the manufacturer has not disabled your 1st authorization using #1:above. 

i just did #2 today.  VI labs Ravenscroft was authorized on my decommissioned (no longer accessible) Mac,Pro but I wanted to install it on my current Mac.  I disabled the Mac Pro authorization (even though it was offline) in UVI and immediately authorized my current Mac, utilizing the 2nd of 3 allowed authorizations.  

All good points to mention.

Point 1 seems to be not uncommon, and a very human thing to happen particularly for less used software, where you forget that it was installed, only to resurrect it down the track on a new computer after having disposed of the last computer.

I had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago. I had an old VSL synchron installation with some freebies. As I'd moved on to some better paid software, I didn't tend to use it much, and forgot it was activated on an old computer which I decommissioned and did a fresh OS install.

When I logged into my iLok account I discovered it sitting there on my greyed out old machine. Luckily for me I still had the computer, as it was repurposed for non music stuff.

I had to temporarily install the iLok software back on it, so I could deactivate the relevant software , then uninstall iLok again. In the end, no harm done, but it was a very well positioned reminder of how you can be caught out. For me, a learning experience on iLok management with non essential software!

They do seem to be able to cater for all these "real world" scenarios, which to me, is at the heart of making it user friendly, and preventing complaints.

• Like 1

This would be beneficial to include in a collection of vital information; everything needed to keep your wheels rolling: (i.e. serial numbers, log-ins, URL's, email accounts, user names, details of debts and monthly bills, contact information, car: VIN# license plate, insurance, notes and tips on experiences with iLok or the installation of certain software, support information, directions for removing the cover on a weird light fixture in order to change the bulb, the bulb specs, medical and retirement info, income tax info, family info like birthdays, anniversaries, names of extended family members, credit card and bank info set up with online bill payment so you have a reference list when it is time to update the information, etc.).

I started off with misc notes on paper. I kept the growing pile in a desk drawer. Then I decided that everything on index cards was an improvement. Later I grew tired of flipping through the growing collection of index cards. I had a major surgery and weeks of recovery time and made a long To Do list. One item on the list was to consolidate all of these notes and create a digital file with a word processor, like MS Word but there is writer's software called Mellel which I prefer. Because this document consists of the most valuable information in my life I name it something innocuous. It can be encrypted and password protected.

Over time I refined the organization of the information. I update this document whenever I have something important I want to have readily accessible. Most recently I added a table of contents which has dynamic bookmarks for each category. You click on the page number and you are immediately on that page. The bookmarks and page numbers automatically update as I add to the file and things shift. When I created the table of contents I also spruced up the visual design. This collection of information has fluctuated between varying degrees of convenience, pleasure, tedium, and burden. It now has evolved to become a pleasure and is gratifying to use.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

This would be beneficial to include in a collection of vital information; everything needed to keep your wheels rolling: (i.e. serial numbers, log-ins, URL's, email accounts, user names, details of debts and monthly bills, contact information, car: VIN# license plate, insurance, notes and tips on experiences with iLok or the installation of certain software, support information, directions for removing the cover on a weird light fixture in order to change the bulb, the bulb specs, medical and retirement info, income tax info, family info like birthdays, anniversaries, names of extended family members, credit card and bank info set up with online bill payment so you have a reference list when it is time to update the information, etc.).

You’re making me nervous.   It’s a shame life has to be so complicated.  

• Like 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

ILok normally allows 2 authorizations among three types: computer registration, USB key, and cloud. I have 50 items in my iLok account, non of which offer cloud authorization. Currently I have my MacBookPro registered as an authorized computer and a USB dongle in my MacMini. It works well for me. The dongle stays safe at home and since I don’t move it there is little chance of damage or failure. 

• Like 2

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

16 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

I started off with misc notes on paper. I kept the growing pile in a desk drawer. Then I decided that everything on index cards was an improvement. Later I grew tired of flipping through the growing collection of index cards. I had a major surgery and weeks of recovery time and made a long To Do list. One item on the list was to consolidate all of these notes and create a digital file with a word processor, like MS Word but there is writer's software called Mellel which I prefer. Because this document consists of the most valuable information in my life I name it something innocuous. It can be encrypted and password protected.

Over time I refined the organization of the information. I update this document whenever I have something important I want to have readily accessible. Most recently I added a table of contents which has dynamic bookmarks for each category. You click on the page number and you are immediately on that page. The bookmarks and page numbers automatically update as I add to the file and things shift. When I created the table of contents I also spruced up the visual design. This collection of information has fluctuated between varying degrees of convenience, pleasure, tedium, and burden. It now has evolved to become a pleasure and is gratifying to use.

I'm actually pretty organised that way, and have all my important info well documented and backed up. I guess I only get caught on things mainly when they aren't that important to me, so no big loss if disaster strikes, as in my example above. It's why I opened this thread, as I'm pretty anal about planning ahead for any problems.

Where it becomes a bit of a dilemma is when I have multiple backups to make sure I never lose anything, and I get stressed trying to keep all the different locations and versions up to date.

You might say to use automation software, but I also believe in keeping it as simple and "in my control hands on" as possible. I used to have incremental backup software, but changes and updates in OS's broke it, so it was one of things which was out of my control, and so I just kept it manually in my own hands from then on.

For me, it's one of life's conflicting issues, backups of backups, and the burden which comes with that!

I guess this issue is not a problem for the most important archived things like birth certificates, as I don't expect my date of birth to ever change😁

9 hours ago, RABid said:

ILok normally allows 2 authorizations among three types: computer registration, USB key, and cloud. I have 50 items in my iLok account, non of which offer cloud authorization. Currently I have my MacBookPro registered as an authorized computer and a USB dongle in my MacMini. It works well for me. The dongle stays safe at home and since I don’t move it there is little chance of damage or failure. 

My main concern for this issue, was the EW software only allows one installation, even with a USB key.

None of my software is old enough to not be activated on the cloud. I've had Ravenscroft installed for a few years and it has 3 activations, so I was never stressed about losing access to one instance of this software, as it would have only taken me one careless accident to be more vigilant, with 2 more activations remaining.

I considered iLok hardware for EW, but decided the server based solution suited me as long as I could move the activation around at will like the USB iLok. That way, the onus on losing my activation is not in my hands. So I should be able to rely on support for this. I usually have some sort of internet connection wherever I might be, if I wanted to change it, but I would do it at home first anyway, and thankfully the software once activated doesn't require a network connection to start or run.

4 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

My main concern for this issue, was the EW software only allows one installation, even with a USB key...

I no longer buy from EW, Steinberg and other companies that allow one installation.  I find myself gravitating towards libraries for Kontakt.    The software version of iLok has worked great for me over the years.   It would be even better if you could deactivate from any computer.    When my Surface Pro died on me, I couldn't deactivate from another computer, but the iLok support was very quick to take care of it. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 12:29 AM, MPN21 said:

I no longer buy from EW, Steinberg and other companies that allow one installation. 

Same for me. EW and ProTools are the only items I have on iLok that are limited to one install. I had not bought anything from EW for 10 years so they deleted my account and I cannot download installers that work on recent OS. I have moved on from both and will never buy from either company again. I have to say for iLok, they still have my one authorization and moved it to my newest USB key. The authorization would still work if I had a way to install the products.

• Like 2

I think in the scheme of things, I won't actually be buying anymore from them either. It does seem they are the exception rather than the rule, as all my other software has several installs allowed. I have several third party Kontakt libraries, and the flexibility does allow me to breathe easier. Perhaps EW have a dedicated following who think it's a privilege to buy from them and they don't need to attract customers. And I certainly draw the line at subscription, as has been discussed on the forum recently. With my use case and philosophy, I will never, repeat never use a subscription service for this kind of thing.

I remember having a short association with Cubase a couple of years ago. The drama involved int he multiple activation/app management was a nightmare. They lost me that's for sure.

6 hours ago, RABid said:

Same for me. EW and ProTools are the only items I have on iLok that are limited to one install. I had not bought anything from EW for 10 years so they deleted my account and I cannot download installers that work on recent OS. I have moved on from both and will never buy from either company again. I have to say for iLok, they still have my one authorization and moved it to my newest USB key. The authorization would still work if I had a way to install the products.

Steinberg has suddenly become fairly easy to deal with, now that they have dumped eLicenser. Previously, they weren't as helpful as I would have liked with licensing issues that were not my fault, but they have gone out of their way to get me onto valid licenses after some snafus with the transition from eLicenser last year.

I will never buy from EW again, after buying their products twice, once for NI Kompakt and again for Play. And for what? Play was an awful engine! Now they are mostly subscription. I even tried to buy the new engine (Opus?) but you can only do so by subscribing or buying a new library built for Opus (and that's the simple version).

More and more, I am consolidating around a few vendors that have proven their trustworthiness, longevity, consistency, and quality. And though some annoy me with their overlapping suites that trick you into thinking you'll get a discount later (you don't), I still depend fairly heavily at least on RX Advanced.

There has been yet more consolidation in the industry this week as well. More often than not, a company on iLok buys another one on that dongle system, or a company with proprietary license protection merges with another one who may have actually been using the same shared service, and there don't tend to be many hiccups.

In my experience, there is an inverse relationship between how much a vendor trusts their customers, and the quality of their product.

• Like 2

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

12 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

More and more, I am consolidating around a few vendors that have proven their trustworthiness, longevity, consistency, and quality. And though some annoy me with their overlapping suites that trick you into thinking you'll get a discount later (you don't), I still depend fairly heavily at least on RX Advanced.

In retrospect, I wish I'd saved quite a bit of money on holiday sales--it has been really hard for me to resist deals--from every company under the sun.  The reality is that I use relatively few plugins a lot, mostly those by u-he and Native Instruments (Kontakt mainly).   Not only could I have saved money, I could have saved hassle when upgrading my OS, as its less updates to get and less potential for broken/obsolete plugins.  When I jumped from High Sierra to Monterey Mac OS, I lost a few plugins that broke but they weren't getting a lot of use in the first place.

Izotope ironically really irritated me because a couple of the plugins that broke I *did* use, namely the ones they took over from Exponential Audio.  I bought a new reverb plugin to replace R4, and I figured Phoenixverb was going to break soon.  They finally ended up patching them to work with Monterey, but my impression is that they want people to get Neoverb and that those products are dead ends.  I don't like that business practice, considering they still were selling R4 and Phoenix at full price (I got them very heavily discounted or I really would have been upset...)

U-he has a really user-friendly copy protection mechanism (to the point where I wonder if they get pirated a lot) and it's just one less thing to hassle me with if I get a new computer.   I have had good experiences with both Garritan and XLN (addictive keys) when I had some questions about installs, so I thought I'd mention them.

• Like 1

XLN has great customer service. Never had to use U-He customer service except for help changing my registered email address and they were quick about that. 

When setting up my new M2 MacMini I thought it might be nice to only install NI Komplete and my Arturia collection. What else would I need? Well, I'm just not ready to give up  products form U-He, XLN, Spectrasonics, Sugar Bytes and Izotope.

• Like 1