Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ck88 vs. mx88

benejana

Hello, all:

I'm looking at both the MX88 and CK88, and I can't decide which to purchase. The CK seems like it has many more options for sound sculpting on the fly, and I love the idea of internal speakers (what a hoot!), but something about the sound of the MX (especially the AP) sounds much more musical and makes me excited to play it. However, this opinion is based only on watching YouTube videos of both models. Any thoughts from anyone here who has played both the MX and the CK? Thank you!

CK88 in a heartbeat over the MX88. But it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you are looking to play pianos, eps, b3 and synth type stuff with a band, the CK is the way to go. The keybeds are similar with no significant difference in feel, I like the AP's a little better on the CK and everything else is much better with real time controls and easier to split and layer.

If you're just looking to lay down tracks in your home studio then you could save a few hundred and get the MX where you could use VB3 and soft synths from your computer with it. But for playing live, the real time control of the CK puts it in a different league.

They both sound good though, it really depends on what you want to use it for but I'd go with the CK in either situation it's not that much more expensive.

While the CK certainly has many advantages over the MX, the MX also has advantages over the CK (besides price). MX has over 1100 Voices, plus a GM bank, vs. 362 voices in the CK. MX has drums and arps, CK doesn't. If you add the John Melas software you can create Performances of up to 16 sounds split/layered, vs. 3.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

While the CK certainly has many advantages over the MX, the MX also has advantages over the CK (besides price). MX has over 1100 Voices, plus a GM bank, vs. 362 voices in the CK. MX has drums and arps, CK doesn't. If you add the John Melas software you can create Performances of up to 16 sounds split/layered, vs. 3.

Agree... FWIW, I use Vycro MX software rather than John Melas software with my MX88 because it was free when I downloaded it a few years ago and I'm notoriously cheap. Vycro MX software, however, is probably not as powerful and smooth as John Melas software but it still works for me, letting me set up complex performances with multiple splits and layers with up to 16 parts.  Both the MX 88 and CK88 have USB midi and audio which is a nice feature for hooking up an Ipad / Iphone to access more sounds with one cable   IMHO this can help mitigate issues with the MX's older sound set.   

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Thanks, all.

I had a chance to try out both models this evening. And, the YouTube videos didn't lie: I much prefer the AP sounds on the MX88. The action was slightly more responsive on the CK (I always use "Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum" from Debussy's Children's Corner to test this), but the MX was more fun and inspiring to play in general, for some reason. So, it looks like the MX88 is the keyboard for me (at least for the time being). 

BTW, I also tried out the P125, and the AP sound quality was comparable to the MX88. Also, the action was fantastic on the P125, even better than the CK!

I've been using my P125 as my travel board for 4-5 years and it works out really great- although the actions are quite similar- I think the p125 has a slight edge.

In other words, and this is just my opinion. I find 61 keys adequate for most of the non-piano sounds,