Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Re Mastering in SX or any DAW for that matter

It seems as though the Pre-Master level should be safely anywhere between -10dbFS and -3dbFS to allow for headroom.

from www.digido.com

.....In 24-bit recording you can make a perfectly good mix that peaks between -3 and -10 dBFS with no loss of quality, in fact, with improved quality.....

So, hypothetically, let's say I've done a mix that peaks at -10dbFS.

I import it into SX2 for Mastering.

I then insert a TC Electronic X3 or an L2, whatever, directly on the channel for some moderate compression and or limiting.

What is the best way to bring that final master level up to -0.3dbFS?

a)The Master fader ?

Or,

b)should I have brought the channel fader up before applying the limiter and leave the master fader alone? (You can really drive or clip the input of the plug-in this way though)

eightyeightkeys

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was me (garage mastering union - san jose)and I wanted some moderate compression and limiting like you mentioned I'd pull out the 64bit internal bus Voxengo Elephant2, adjust the input (to push into the mastering limiter a bit) as well as adjusting the output to raise the post-effect output level the desired amount to -0.3dBFS that you mentioned.

Listening on an adequate monitoring system you can decide if the crest (musical headroom of the average rms to peak) has been squished too much. Being a garage guy I also watch those stats on an outboard Behringer DEQ2496 RTA metering system.

Archived