Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

[OT] Video storytelling advice?

This is OT, but I am hoping some of my fellow musicians have gone down this path, so here goes. My question is how to find resources and skills to build a few videos. I would use these resources and skills to build personal videos for family and perhaps someday for musical projects.

I landed a few hours ago in New England from my Mom's 90th birthday in Sydney. Attendees have sent in a lot of iPhone photography and videos. Wouldn't it be nice to send out a video to everyone? It would thank them, create some warmth, remind them of the event and my Mom. Nice.

But all I have is iMovie on my Mac. And few no skills. Also l I don't know how to create 5 minutes of video so that it doesn't bore me, let alone other people. I have been browsing Macprovideo and YouTube and I see an app in the App Store called "Tutor for IMovie." I notice that Lynda has been purchased by LinkedIn. But my skill deficit isn't just about software.  Should the video be organized chronologically? In story form? (problem/resolution)

I'd like to pick up enough skills to complete this project for Mom's birthday. Perhaps use some of those skills to create music related YouTube videos.🤞Because Soundcloud isn't quite enough.

Any advice about where to begin? Have you expanded from audio to video production? How did you do it? Thanks.

Watch this, it is one I put together about my Grandfather.  
It is intended for my younger relatives who will inherit all my Family History research and it is one of many I have planned.

Created using video editing software, not iMovie as I do not rate it.  Final Cut Pro or Da Vinci Resolve is better but you can do everything easily on an iPad using Luma Fusion.

As to how to put everything together, that is not a five minute learning task, it take time to learn how to shoot video, ie the various shots to capture and their length.  How to assemble the media is an art in itself.

Been editing video for over 30 years and for ten of those I taught it on a free lance basis.

• Thanks 1

Col