Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Breath Controllers

I am a long time breath control user but they have been fragile in the past and I am down to my last BC3a.

Does anyone make one that has a removable cord? I mean the cord that goes into the box/keyboard - the mini plug with tip/ring/sleeve?

TEC said they don't - which means it can break just like the BC1,2,3.

The prices are really high now (over $200) so someone hopefully has a breath controller with removable cords.

Anyone know? Thanks!

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

There’s TEC. there’s the Hornberg Research HB1 at a multiple of the TEC cost. I own both. 

both work to create breath controller data on any CC you like. They send MIDI data over USB -or at least that’s the only thing I’ve ever done.  The TEC is on a USB key. The HB1 has a standard port on the back of the brain unit. 

The HB1 is an instrument grade controller with sophisticated controls for adjusting the sensitivity, response and MIDI stream. All the hardware is high quality wood and metal. It can control 4 CCs at once.  There is nothing like it on the market.  It is a premium product. It is worth the money - you get a quality unit.  The utility software is functional, but not Apple awesome.  The actual breath control is what you pay for and what you get. 

The TEC hose between breath control and mouthpiece is definitely removable. It’s just tubing.  They may not sell it, but I’m sure a replacement could be sourced. It’s very “non-magical”.  

The answer to the question, “Is the Hornberg worth it” is simple: is breath control a serious tool in your workflow?  If yes, it’s just nicer and better in every way. They are on a lot of composer desktops for a reason. 

But you can make great music with the TEC.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's more than ever at the moment. They've generally been mentioned around release time, so I don't think anyone has gathered them all together in one topic yet. As a result, it can be a bit of a trick to try to remember them all and then see which ones meet your criteria, if any. Good luck!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The cord I am talking about is not the hose. It's the actual wire that connects to the keyboard. On the Yamaha it would always break. I tried to fix it multiple times, but to no avail. The breath controllers are expensive now at over $200 each. I wrote TEC and they said no removable cord. I wrote MRT and they said I was a "great man"  but no discount LOL.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

The BC1, 2 and 3 have non-removable cords that break if you accidentally turn and pull on them over time. 

The PCB is very fragile and it is hard to fix the cords when they break. I've tried everything over the years, but they all break eventually.

I did try that years ago. The plastic is not conducive to mounting things on it. 

I tried to disassemble the breath controller and mount it in something else, but that was decades ago.

Now I just want to buy one that won't break easily.

I just have to say it everytime the subject glances upon my greatest keyboard desire…I want a MIDI Melodica so bad…come on Yamaha, Akai, Roland, CME, Arturia…somebody…Puh-LEASE! 

Suzuki made one for a very brief run in 1989…the SMW-1000. However those are more rare than frog hair. Have never seen one in the wild.

I just can’t bring myself to pay $600 for an old grody Yamaha CS-01 that may be on its last legs, and ya still have to use the delicate Yamaha BC 1, 2, or 3…

Same goes for an old Yamaha KX5. And super rare KX1 that had 44 full size keys, velocity, aftertouch…another that I’ve not seen in the wild.

Now I could find myself paying that much for a new MIDI Melodica with all the right bells and whistles…mini keys are fine, but must have at least 37 of them…44 is better. Velocity and aftertouch is mandatory; on/off switchable. Well placed modulation, pitch control, octave, and program change buttons; preferably within easy reach of the left hand as it utilizes the strap or handle. Onboard WI-FI MIDI would be nice, but I already have a couple of hardware choices for that…but requires standard 5-pin MIDI dins, please. USB midi is needed as well. Internal rechargeable battery would be great, too.

Surely an instrument like this with a reasonable price tag would sell quite well. Osmose almost got my money, but I REALLY want breath control to be prominent in my expression experience. Portability and stage presence of a melodica sized instrument is greatly desired as well.

Anyone else?

WOW! I forgot my KX5 had breath control! Mine is in perfect condition, if I can find it! LOL

And yes, I have two CS-01 - and they are fragile.

Now I'm trying to find my Yamaha MCS2.