Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weighted controller recommendations 73/76 or 88 key

Paul Woodward

Okay, so today I came across a very cheap SL88 so I picked it up to see if it would make a decent bottom board for running pianos from a YC61.

Cutting to the chase, is there an issue with these boards in terms of velocity. The SL is pretty much brand new, so I don’t think it’s a fault, but I cannot get anywhere near full velocity from this unless I set the fixed velocity manually. Tried soft, hard and even the key balance in the editor. Still nothing like full velocity. Best I can get without literally pounding this is a high 80.

Anyone had this board and had the same issues?

I tried this with two boards and an iPad and even the midi monitor in the editor shows this topping out in the 80’s.

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I've read this. I tried one and I just couldn't get over the UI. It was very limiting for jumping quickly between programs. But the feel was OK to me.

Maybe see if they have a firmware update.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

51 minutes ago, aronnelson said:

I've read this. I tried one and I just couldn't get over the UI. It was very limiting for jumping quickly between programs. But the feel was OK to me.

Maybe see if they have a firmware update.

It appears to be running the latest firmware…

Korg Grandstage 73, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I think I remember the person telling me the same thing. That seems strange that it would happen but you can scale the velocity. Ask studiologic, see what they say.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

3 hours ago, aronnelson said:

I think I remember the person telling me the same thing. That seems strange that it would happen but you can scale the velocity. Ask studiologic, see what they say.

I did, and kudos to them, found a reply in my inbox this morning. They say the full velocity should be achievable and suggested the firmware update then using the SL editor and the key balance feature to increase the velocity of the keys across the keybed. Problem is, this increases velocity by 30% overall making it more difficult to play very soft (pianissimo) as it’s all raised. Even with this setting, I was struggling to get over 100. Adjusting the manual (fixed) velocity I noticed some of the ‘bark’ on the Rhodes sounds needs around 120 to achieve so, when playing the SL, I am not getting the same sound I could from the YC and that is kinda the point of getting this board.

I realise it’s a £400 master keyboard, not top of the range by any means, but Studiologic make much of how tweakable it is in their promo material so I didn’t expect to find this being an issue. In all other respects it’s a great board, and I am surprised at how playable the keybed is after playing a Korg RH3.

This was never intended for studio use so it’s pretty important that it can play a connected board at the same velocity, all the other stuff (while nice) is not really necessary, just need to be able to get the full velocity range…

Well, reinstalled firmware, reset and ramped the velocity up in the key balance and it’s almost there now. Not perfect,  but for what I paid (and just 13kg), it will do nicely as a full sized board to run a YC61 and/or iPad with Module. Have to say I’m quite impressed with the quality of this thing.

• Like 1

Paul, please tell us, the keyboard feel is not that bad right? People posting all kinds of negative things about the TP/100LR but when I played it, it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. 

8 hours ago, aronnelson said:

Paul, please tell us, the keyboard feel is not that bad right? People posting all kinds of negative things about the TP/100LR but when I played it, it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. 

It took a little tweaking of settings (and bear in mind I’m coming from a Korg RH3 action) but I had a happy hour or so playing the SL connected to iPad Module. K&M stand extensions due today then I will try it with the YC which is the intended setup.

Based on that it’s a great keyboard and it really was a steal for what I paid (£150) and in pristine condition with light home use. Consider that for the same price I could have picked up a used Nektar LX88. No competition really. The fact that it’s a master keyboard with multi outs and four zones is a nice bonus but the best thing for me is having that lovely slab like body without dozens of pads and sliders I will never use. The sticks are also great as the second one defaults to controlling the Leslie with fast, slow and brake. 
So, it’s not as bad as some might say and, when lost in playing, the weighted keys do feel ‘piano like’ and better than the price might suggest. It’s as light as a weighted board gets and probably the narrowest 88 key (width) if you have limited space.

My complete live rig will now be just over 22kg (excluding monitor) and the Korg Grandstage can stay safe in the studio 🙂

20230430_182721_Original.jpeg

• Like 2

If ever needed, you may try a MIDI velocity converter to get a velocity curve according to your liking. I needed it for quite some time between an older weighted Yamaha keybed (without a selection of velocity curves) and a Nord Stage 3 - until Nord came with a new firmware changing the characteristics of the MIDI-in velocity curve.

In case of MIDIsolutions not cheap, though. And needs 5 V from MIDI - only usable with modern 3.3 V boards with power injection which makes it even more expensive.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation, but I’m about there with the SL after using the editor. Forgot to mention that this also has aftertouch which is crazy at this price. I just sold my Roland A800 pro for more than I paid for the SL and you needed hands like a gorilla to activate aftertouch on that.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I finally have a setup that I am happy to take on the road (and store easily at home). Managed the full 88 keys (and weighted), a great sounding board (with waterfall keys) and iPad integration. I can even power the Studiologic from the USB A socket on the YC at a push. All this comes in under 23kg and feels great to play. There is even space for a little synth and still have audio inputs free on the YC. Most of this is down to the advice on here, you guys are pretty cool.

20230503_200356_Original.jpeg

• Like 5